IT Miro, Computer Scientist
Experience:  Bachelor's Degree in Information Technology, Microsoft Certified Professional
30721786

Can not access my gmail account. Have used all the help

Customer Question

Can not access my gmail account. Have used all the help screens. It still will not let me in. I can't change passwords. The only thing different is we have a new Comcast modum. I tried to sign in for the first time since the modum was installed. Answered all the questions on their screens. And they would not let me in because they suspected someone had stolen my password. Later I got an e-mail saying someone had just tried to get into my account using my password. It was me.
Category: Email
Expert:  Cory replied 1 year ago.

Welcome, I am Cory.

When you try to sign in, you get a username/password *****?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
what is your response to my question?
Expert:  Cory replied 1 year ago.

When you try to sign in what happens?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I get a response saying "there is suspicious activity on my account" and they think my account password ***** have been stolen. They ask me to go to my regular sign in computer and try.Then I go back to another gmail account and receive an e-mail that says someone just tried to sign into my account with my password. It was me. I am signing in on my regular PC. The only difference is we have a new comcast modum and a new lynksis WIfi. So, how do I get in?
Expert:  Cory replied 1 year ago.

I would like to look at this remotely, but it is an additional fee. I can sort this out for you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No thank you. Your system leaves a lot to be desired and I am not interested in going any further with this and am not interested in any monthly charge to fix my system.
Thank you, Paula
Expert:  Cory replied 1 year ago.

I can help you with this quickly and the monthly subscription is not required

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok ... if you can do it without getting into my computer ...
Expert:  Cory replied 1 year ago.

Paula,

In certain situations, it is hard to fix something without seeing what is going on.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks anyway.
Paula
Expert:  Cory replied 1 year ago.

I will opt out and see if another expert can help you.

Please wait for a reply from them.

Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.

Hello! My name is*****

I may be able to remotely connect to your computer and solve the GMail problem without any extra fee. Let me know if you would like that.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No thank you. I do not want anyone connecting to my computer and doing something that I have not a clue about. Appreciate the contact though.
Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.

In that case, let's continue in this chat mode, but that may not be enough for solving the problem.

Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.

Please tell me what exactly happens when you go to the GMail page. Are you asked to type your password, or you are automatically taken to your GMail account where you can see the e-mails?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi, I now have a more definitive question. I believe the gmail e-mail was hacked. I tried to sign in again, went through the questions all over again and the last one asked me to verify the recovery e-mail address ... it started with [email protected] My recovery e-mails were all on google. So, someone got access to the password ***** reset it. Can you help me recover the account?
Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.

Hello!

Please type your GMail account here and the password ***** you last used, so that I can check it.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
p/w Yours!nliberty and was changed to Mine!nliberty. I never received verification that the password ***** changed.
Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.

I checked it.

Yours!nliberty is the correct current password. The password ***** never changed to Mine!nliberty

However, the GMail system asks for verification since it detected an unusual sign in - basically, it means that someone else have accessed or attempted to access your GMail account. Because of that, you need to confirm it by receiving a verification code to the alternate (recovery) e-mail address associated with your GMail account. It appears to be a Yahoo! address ([email protected])

You say you don't recognize that Yahoo! e-mail address?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That is correct. It is not mine.
Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.

Usually, when an account gets hacked, the hacker changes the password ***** prevent the owner of signing back in. However, in this case, the password *****'t been changed, so that's strange.

Do you remember creating or using any Yahoo! account that starts with "m"?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, the only yahoo account I have is***@******.***. Just out of curiosity, try [email protected]
Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.

No, it is not the correct e-mail address.

Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.

I see you originally wrote "Later I got an e-mail saying someone had just tried to get into my account using my password. It was me."

Where did you get that e-mail?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I didn't see how it could be, but it was worth trying.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The e-mail I just told you to try is part of the change I was trying to make to the p/w that didn't go thru according to your information (i.e. mine!nliberty). Yes, I did try to get into try to change the password ***** then I tried to get back in to make sure the password ***** changed ... could not get in and never received the confirmtion it was changed. Tried to get in again and answered all the questions and they refused to let me back in. They told me to go to the computer I usually sign in on. This is the computer I use all the time. After I got off and went back to***@******.***, they send me an e-mail saying "someone just tried to get into my account using my password". It was obviously me with the correct password, but they still would not let me in because the recovery email was different than the one on the***@******.*** file.
Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.

Are you able to access your GMail account on another device, such as phone or tablet?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Use a dumb phone. But I have a tablet. It will take me a few minutes to see if I can get on because we have a new Wifi and modum.
Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.

Please try.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I did and my tablet is still trying to sinc with the existing email (omgitspaulas) and PGTParty is not set up on it yet.
Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.

OK. You can set up *****@******.*** as well. Use Yours!nliberty as password.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm sorry, I have not used the tablet in a couple of years on the e-mails. So, am having difficulty getting past omgitspaulas to add PGTP. I will come back on when I can get that done, unless you have any other question for me now.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry, it will not let me set PGTParty up. It says someone else has that account already. It may be me, but I don't know.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK The message I get back is authentication failed.
Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.

It looks like you cannot sign in using any device since you need to first unlock the account via GMail web interface.

Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.

Here is what I think has happened:

Your PGTParty GMail account hasn't been hacked at all. The verification prompt you see is triggered the moment you switched Internet connection (new modem). That changed your IP address you used to use for signing in to your PGTParty GMail account. Because of that, GMail system recognizes you as someone else so it displayed the verification prompt. So, the "hacker" is you.

I cannot explain the recovery e-mail address ([email protected]). It must have been added to your account before, but it looks like you never had to reset the password ***** verify the account since you always accessed it from home.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK - I asked that the account be cancelled earlier and received confirmation that it was. While we did not get the result desired, I do appreciate your efforts - so if they need to bill me something it is ok but I want to know in advance what they want to do and agree to it. Have them contact me. They have my info and I do appreciate your trying to help and your patience.
Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.

So, to solve the problem, you will need to go through the "Google Account Recovery" form. To access it, type the password ***** then click the "Ask Google for help" link located below the Continue button.

There you will need to answer multiple questions about the account so that Google can recognize you as the owner. If it was successful, the verification prompt will go away.

You cannot request the account be cancelled nor change anything there without having full access.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Actually, that is what I did (questions were answered to the best of my ability) and they kept asking me to go to a different computer to sign in. Yet this is the same computer I always use. And the IP issue will exist as long as we have the two new technologies involved. So, I may be without alternatives.
Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.

I am very sorry for the issues.

Unlike Yahoo! and AOL (any many other e-mail providers), Google / GMail does not have phone support nor any other human contact available. For that reason, you cannot call them and explain what happened. The best you can get from them is an automated response to the Account Recovery form telling you that you either provided sufficient information for password ***** or account verification, or that you provided insufficient information, or in case, that you need to use a different computer.

The only other method I can suggest you is to call your Internet Service Provider and ask them if they could assign the same IP address to your new modem that you used when you had the old modem. That will allow you to be recognized as the owner in the GMail system, so you shouldn't see the verification prompt. Once signed in, you can change the recovery e-mail address.

In case you still have the old modem, connect it and check again.

If nothing helps, the GMail account won't be accessible to anyone and will automatically be cancelled (expire) after 9 months.

If you plan to open a new e-mail account, my recommendation is to open a Yahoo! or AOL e-mail account since they have a phone support you can call in cases like this one.

Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.

Hello!

If you require any other assistance, let me know.

Regards,