Chris R.
Chris R., Computer Tech
Experience:  BSBA CIS, A+ Certified
70521640

I had a legit WINDOWS 8.1 activated version of windows since

Customer Question

I had a legit WINDOWS 8.1 activated version of windows since I started with windows xp. I received my reserved version of windows 10 and it said it could be up weeks or months before I would receive it. Their was a blurb on the web site you could downloaded via USB Download. I did that and everyting downloaded ok, except I could not activate it. I talked to to an Microsoft Tech and answered all the questions and number sets. After I did his he basically said said sorry and hung up. I had to buy another Product key ftom Windows Store. I have been a supporter of Windows 3.1 thru windows 8.1 and have always worked with an activated copy. I'm also a Technician and have two laptops and two PC's for which my Wife uses one and I use another. Microsoft should have copies of all my Product Keys since most all of them were ordered from them, every time I enter one of the Keys I ordered and have inserted doesn't work. Can't you read the Product Keys valid for the PC in Question and re activated it? If I can't get this resolved for this computer, I'll quit Microsoft products and go else where. I enjoy Linux systems very well.
Category: Email
Expert:  Chris R. replied 1 year ago.

Hello my name is***** and I would be happy to clear some things up for you.

First, we are not Microsoft. I am not sure if you were under this impression.

Windows 10 activation gets a little confusing. I myself experienced some confusion with this.

Here is what you need to know. You MUST do an UPGRADE ONLY to Windows 10 from 8.1 first to get your computer activated and to obtain the free Windows 10 license. Once you have upgraded you can then do a CLEAN install and your PC will automatically activate. You do not, and should not have needed to purchase any license. If you did I would fight with wherever you purchased that for a refund.

The main thing you need to do is choose the option to SKIP entering the product key. It is not necessary.

I hope this helps. You really do not have to buy anything. That is the whole point. Once again, I would fight that.