Chris R.
Chris R., Computer Tech
Experience:  BSBA CIS, A+ Certified
70521640

I have forgotten my Microsoft password. directions were to

Customer Question

I have forgotten my Microsoft password. directions were to go to account.live.com/password/reset. OK, what must I do to be able to use MY computer? I am using my wifes.
Category: Email
Expert:  Chris R. replied 1 year ago.

Hello my name is***** and I would be happy to assist you.

Expert:  Chris R. replied 1 year ago.

Where in the password ***** process are you getting stuck?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
After I enter what I belived to be my password ***** get a message that it is incorrect
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Chris R. replied 1 year ago.

I personally do not provide phone support, although some other experts might. I provide assistance online only.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
do you know how to reset the pass word on microsoft so I can use my computer?
Expert:  Chris R. replied 1 year ago.

Yes. I asked where you were getting stuck earlier. I assume you are using Windows 8 or 10 and can't sign into your computer because you are using a Microsoft account. Where in the reset procedure are you having trouble?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am stuck immediately after pressing enter for what I believed to be my password. I get a notice to contact pass word reset.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am using 10. In fact, 10 was yust downloaded Thursday.
Expert:  Chris R. replied 1 year ago.

Ok. You have to do that from the Microsoft website.

Expert:  Chris R. replied 1 year ago.

You can't change it from Windows 10 directly.

Expert:  Chris R. replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Chris R. replied 1 year ago.

Also, so you are aware you don't really need to use a Microsoft account on Windows 10. You can choose just to use a local account like all the version from Windows 7 and earlier. The Microsoft account just links all your Microsoft services together and makes it so you don't need to sign multiple times to use email, One Drive, Microsoft Office etc.

Expert:  Chris R. replied 1 year ago.

The benefit of this type of logon system is you can access the Microsoft page from another computer and reset your password ***** you forget it. If it were a local account you risk being permanently locked out of your account unless you do some advanced procedures.

Expert:  Chris R. replied 1 year ago.

I haven't heard from you in a while. Have you tried resetting the password ***** that link yet?