IT Miro, Computer Scientist
Experience:  Bachelor's Degree in Information Technology, Microsoft Certified Professional
30721786

My pc crashed today - its back up but my outlook mail on 2

Customer Question

my pc crashed today - its back up but my outlook mail on 2 of my 3 email accounts is not accessible - contacts and calendar are there
Category: Email
Expert:  Jason Jones replied 1 year ago.
I am the person that will be helping you today.
When you say that it is not accessible, what does that mean? For instance, do you 'see' the email accounts in Outlook?
I will be standing by.
Thank you,
Jason
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the .pst file is there but when i click on the mail tab - in box in outlook it says that the file is not an outlook file
Thank you for the update.
May I start a remote screen sharing session with you so that I can better help you resolve this problem?
When the remote begins, a chat window will appear that we can use to communicate with each other.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
its on a different pc - I'm not paying 45$ morewhat can I try to resore the email file
I understand.
What else can you tell me about the situation? It is a .PST file.
Which version of Outlook are you using?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
2010here is the exact message: The file \ \ \ local\microsoft\outloo\*****@******.*** is not an outlook file (.pst)i have three email accounts on outlook and one still work on that machinei have another latop running 2007 and the three email accounts work
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
when i tried to open outlook after the crash the icloud add in would not load
Without the ability to remote in and take a look at the problem, there is no way for me to analyze the problem.
For this reason, I am opting out of the question and allowing another expert the chance to help.
The next expert will see all that is on this page, so there will be no need to repeat anything.
When another expert picks this up, you will be notified by email.
Thank you for your patience.
- Jason
Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.

Hello! I am IT Miro and I will assist you on this question.

If you can see the .PST files, but Outlook cannot open them any more, you can use the Microsoft Outlook Inbox Repair Tool to repair Outlook .PST files which contain your e-mail data.
To do that, follow these instructions:
1. Exit Microsoft Outlook 2010
2. Start the Microsoft Outlook Inbox Repair Tool (SCANPST.exe) which is located in:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office14
or
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office14
or in any other location where you installed Office 2010.
Since the Office14 folder contains many folders and files, you will need to scroll down and find the SCANPST icon. Double-click it and it will start the Microsoft Outlook Inbox Repair Tool which looks like this:
graphic
PICTURE
3. First, browse to a location of your PST file by clicking on the Browse... button in the Microsoft Outlook Inbox Repair Tool. Default location of Outlook PST files is in:
C:\Users\\My Documents\Outlook Files
or
C:\Users\\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Outlook
Since AppData folder is hidden, you will have to un-hide hidden files and folders by clicking Control Panel > Appearance and Personalization > Folder Options. When a new window opens, click on the View tab and select Show hidden files, folders, and drives. Then confirm by pressing OK.
Once you access that folder, choose first PST file (e-mail account) you see there and then click Start in the Microsoft Outlook Inbox Repair Tool
4. Wait until the PST file is being repaired
5. After it has been repaired, repeat the process for other corrupted PST files
6. When all is done, exit the Microsoft Outlook Inbox Repair Tool and start Outlook
Let me know the results.
Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.
Hello!
I am following up with you to check if you have tried repairing your Outlook .PST file(s) using the method I suggested.
Let me know,
Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.

Hello!

Were you able to read my messages sent to you?