Chris L., Support Specialist
Experience:  Certified Email Expert with over 10 years experience.
51029781

I have complicated gmail problem. I had several things

Customer Question

I have complicated gmail problem. I had several things happen that led me to changing my gmail password. I have had the account for years. I forgot the last password ***** also had been prompted to delete my security password *****
it isn't supported anymore which was odd but I deleted it and no matter what I do I can't get past the basic "account recovery page"- And basic questions of when was the last time you logged in and when did you create your account. Normally you can get to
a screen that will ask about 5 emails you write to frequently and answer some other account questions I never never am taken there no matter how I answer the initial account recovery form.
Here's the prior history: http://www.justanswer.com/email/9904u-pretty-complicated-gmail-forum-isn-t-helping.html
Category: Email
Expert:  Chris L. replied 1 year ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** certified computer professional with over 10 years experience. I will be happy to help you.

I have read your previous question on this matter and I am going to be very up front about your issue as I know you have spent a lot of time on it. First, google makes sure that accounts are kept secure however they leave this up to the user. to remember things like paswords and or backup codes for two step If you were using two step verification in this account and no longer have access to the phone and do not have the back up codes you do not have many options. I will be blunt to save you some time, it is possible to lose access to an account, simple as that.

I have done thousands of password ***** for customers on gmail and am very familiar with how the process works and I am going to share that information with you but keep in mind there is no way I can get you back into your account, you will need to have the knowledge about the account in order to proceed with a password *****

Remember Gmail is a free service so there is not a way you can just call and verify your identity by your billing information.

Please follow these instructions.Please read through them once before you try so you understand. Go to the following link to begin the recovery. https://accounts.google.com/RecoverAccount?fpOnly=1.

Enter the account you need access to, type the characters in the distorted image, and click the link at the bottom of the following page to verify your identity and access the form.

Then you need to answer these questions, When was the last time you were able to sign in to your Google Account? (take your best guess)

When did you create your Google Account? (take your best guess try and get at least the year correct)

Email addresses of up to five frequently emailed contacts (name as many as you can)

Name of up to four labels or folders in your gmail account (name as many as you can)

Select up to 4 other Google products you use with this account, and the approximate date you started using them. These could be things like youtube or google plus.

What is most important is you do not guess. You need to provide as much correct info as you can.

So if you do not know something skip it but try not to skip everything or they will not let you in.

Take time to fill out each section of the form to the best of your ability. It was designed to ensure that no one can gain access to your account except you. If you cannot remember the exact dates of you started using gmail or the last time you used it take your best guess. Since Google doesn't collect a lot of information about you when you sign up for an account, they will ask you questions like when you created your account, what Google services you use, and who you email frequently. If you fill out the recovery form and are not successful on the first try, you can try again. Make sure to wait until you receive our reply before you submit another report.

Important: Try to provide as much information as possible on each attempt. Each submission is evaluated independently. You may need to go through this a couple of times. Fill in the information the best you can and try not to leave too much blank. The questions we ask to verify your identity are intentionally difficult. Answer as many questions as possible, and make sure your answers are accurate. If you're unsure about an answer, provide your best guess. If you fail 3 or 4 times in a row you may be shown an option to have a representative call you to help more, this is not always the case but I have seen it happen with my own eyes.

Now if you feel there is no way you will be able to complete the form to their satisfaction I would then seuggest as a last attempt you reach out to them on their support forums here https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!forum/gmail , moderators do read these and may be able to provide additional help.

I am really sorry there is not more that I can do but this is unfortunately one of the downsides to using a free email service, when you have an issue such as this you cannot just call someone and confirm who you are by your billing information.

I hope you are able to get back in. Please do me a favor and take a moment to rate my service by clicking the stars above, 3 or more is very appreciated. Remember you are rating me personally and not gmail or their procedures which I understand are very frustrating.

Thank you,
Chris

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I understand everything you wrote. The problem is I had a message that there was suspicious activity after changing my password ***** I couldn't sign in. Only one time did gmail send a link to my back up email to reset the password. by the time I opened it the link was not active in under 24 hours. I Can not get to the point where I can put in my 5 known emails --- This is the whole problem the questions it is asking is limited and it won't pass this no matter how many times I ask or how or what period up to 5 days in between I wait to try again. I have gone to google forums with no answers. I have called corporate google where I have had 2 different employees spend over an hour with me telling me they don't support this but I was doing everything right. They suspected there may have been a hacking attempt but they didn't know why I couldn't get to the level to prove my ownership by answering the further detailed questions of 5 emails and folders named etc... I have no answers and neither does anyone. I have used it for many years. I am suspicious of the message I was sent to delete my security password. That was not normal. Only new accounts are not offered that google said they don't ask people to delete old passwords it is still supported. I have always been able to get into the account.
I only get to the questions of when I logged into it last and then when I created it... depending on the questions sometimes it will ask for phone number associated with the account. it sometimes gives me the capacha test word sometimes not. Always asks for backup email account but no matter who's account I use sometimes it sends the same message sometimes of going to 'account recovery' sometimes it sends nothing... More than frustrating. I hope maybe there is something that may stand out in this answer.
Expert:  Chris L. replied 1 year ago.

Based on what you told me it could very well be that the account was hacked and google shut it down because whoever hacked it used it for some type of abuse like sending millions of spam messages for example. Honestly at this point I see no way for you to get access to that account if they did shut it down which could explain why you are not getting the recovery options. This is one of those situations where the damage has already been done and you have exhausted all possibilities. As you know google does not provide support for this type of thing, it is difficult to accept but you need to remember that google has hundreds of millions of users so it would not be possible to have some type of telephone support where you could get someone to sort it out. From everything you said I would have to say that the account was likely hacked and then the hacker did some kind of abuse from that account and google shut it down. I am sorry to have to tell you that, but that is my professional opinion. Sorry I don't have better news. If I come across anything that I think will help you I will let you know but I think you are just going to need to make a new account and forget about that old one.

Best,

Chris

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I hope not so. Such a waste of time and energy. could be a malicious attack I did have spyware on my android phone a few weeks ago the phone company found and did a hard reset. I don't know what to do. It would seem if they shut it down I would not have the name and picture I had there still showing? I haven't had a message it was shut down it just won't let me past these first security level no matter what I put. I just have years of information there some of it I need.
Expert:  Chris L. replied 1 year ago.

I just took another look for you and since it appears you did have 2 step enabled and you do not have your back up codes your only option is to go through that 3-5 day period. But again, if you cannot provide enough information to google than they will not let you in the account. They do not provide any other options, what you are seeing is it. I think the account may have been hacked but as you see when you go through google help it has the option of waiting 3-5 days, keep in mind during this wait you should not be trying to do anything with this account, do not try and sign in, reset or anything. All I can suggest is you wait the full 5 days without trying the account and see if any new options for recovery open up.

Please do me a favor and take a moment to rate my service by clicking the stars above, 3 or more is very appreciated, we can still chat after rating if you need more help but I need the rating to receive credit for my time spent with you.