James K., Consultant
Experience:  Technical Director of IT Company
20304743

Can you tell me how to pick up and send emails from my

Customer Question

Can you tell me how to pick up and send emails from my Riseup.net account, using Eudora? Riseup's tech support doesn't know how to do it. Thank you!
Category: Email
Expert:  Kamil Anwar replied 1 year ago.

Hello & Welcome to JustAnswer. May i connect with you remotely to fix the issue? Thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Not sure what that means

Connect to your computer and then check the issue https://secure.logmeinrescue.com/R?i=2&Code=272308

Click the link below and then/open the downloaded program:

https://secure.logmeinrescue.com/R?i=2&Code=272308

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I just need you to tell me what settings to choose in Eudora. My ancient computer is not broken, so it's not an "issue". I don't think it is modern enough to do that remote login stuff.

Unfortunately, since Eudora is very, very old and end of life i cannot assist here as that will be too difficult and complicated. Therefore, i will opt out and open the question to other experts who can/may assist here without remoting in.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sounds good.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Your saying "Eudora is very, very old and end of life" tells me that you are ****NOT**** a Eudora "expert", as you claim to be.

I have opened your question to other experts. Of course, i can make it work but it will take too much time to explain here due to troubleshooting and configuring the errors because Eudora is end of life. See Here: https://wiki.mozilla.org/Eudora_OSE Read at the link: it is Mozilla's understanding that Qualcomm is no longer developing Eudora OSE and its community support forum no longer exists. When an expert responds you will be notified here and e-mail. Unfortunately, i cannot give you an estimate of time when this would be.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Here you go again: "its community support forum no longer exists." You are 100% wrong about that, I am an active member of Eudora's community support forum.I will wait for communication from an ACTUAL Eudora expert.

No problem. All the best.

Expert:  Jason Jones replied 1 year ago.
I am an Information Technology Professional with over 15 years of professional experience. I am the technician assigned to your case today. I look forward to working with you and resolving this problem.
It is true that Eudora reached their end of life officially on March 15, 2011.
I can however, work with you to get this working.
May I start a remote session with you so that I can help you get this working?
I will be standing by.
Thank you,
Jason
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Did you read the emails I already sent to Kamil Anwar?
I have read the posts on this page.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have no idea what displays TO YOU on "this page". Since it does NOT seem like you read what I already wrote, I'll repeat it all:
Can you tell me how to pick up and send...
Can you tell me how to pick up and send emails from my Riseup.net account, using Eudora? Riseup's tech support doesn't know how to do it. Thank you!08 August 2015 05:5108 August 2015 05:55
Email technicianHello & Welcome to JustAnswer. May i connect with you remotely to fix the issue? Thanks08 August 2015 05:56
Not sure what that means08 August 2015 05:57
Email technicianConnect to your computer and then check the issue https://secure.logmeinrescue.com/R?i=2&Code=27230808 August 2015 05:58
Email technicianClick the link below and then/open the downloaded program:https://secure.logmeinrescue.com/R?i=2&Code=27230808 August 2015 05:58
I just need you to tell me what settings to choose in Eudora. My ancient computer is not broken, so it's not an "issue". I don't think it is modern enough to do that remote login stuff.08 August 2015 05:59
Email technicianUnfortunately, since Eudora is very, very old and end of life i cannot assist here as that will be too difficult and complicated. Therefore, i will opt out and open the question to other experts who can/may assist here without remoting in.08 August 2015 06:00
Sounds good.08 August 2015 06:03
Your saying "Eudora is very, very old and end of life" tells me that you are ****NOT**** a Eudora "expert", as you claim to be.08 August 2015 06:13
Email technicianI have opened your question to other experts. Of course, i can make it work but it will take too much time to explain here due to troubleshooting and configuring the errors because Eudora is end of life. See Here: https://wiki.mozilla.org/Eudora_OSE Read at the link: it is Mozilla's understanding that Qualcomm is no longer developing Eudora OSE and its community support forum no longer exists. When an expert responds you will be notified here and e-mail. Unfortunately, i cannot give you an estimate of time when this would be.08 August 2015 06:15
Here you go again: "its community support forum no longer exists." You are 100% wrong about that, I am an active member of Eudora's community support forum.I will wait for communication from an ACTUAL Eudora expert.08 August 2015 06:17
Email technicianNo problem. All the best.08 August 2015 06:22
***** *****
***** *****
Email technicianHello,I am an Information Technology Professional with over 15 years of professional experience. I am the technician assigned to your case today. I look forward to working with you and resolving this problem.It is true that Eudora reached their end of life officially on March 15, 2011.I can however, work with you to get this working.May I start a remote session with you so that I can help you get this working?I will be standing by.Thank you,
Jason08 August 2015 06:23
Did you read the emails I already sent to Kamil Anwar?08 August 2015 06:23
***** *****
***** *****
Email technicianI have read the posts on this page.Want to switch to a live phone call?
If you prefer, we can talk live on the phone to make it easier to get all the help you need and ask follow-up questions.
Amount: $20
100% Satisfaction Guaranteed
By clicking "Call me" you agree to the additional amount and to credit the Expert.
I have read it all a 2nd time.
If the mail server's support team could not get you working, I don't see how me telling you how to do it will help. It sounds like this issue is more difficult than just 'entering the correct values' because they could have fixed that in 2 minutes.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Not if they don't have a copy of Eudora in front of them. Plus if they are not motivated, because they are such a low cost provider.But of course YOU have Eudora in front of you, because YOU are an expert, right?
I am an expert in math, but I don't have a calculator in front of me.
I am not trying to be rude or anything. I am a bit confused. Are you not willing to allow me to remote in and fix this for you?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I* am confused. JustAnswer says you are an expert in Eudora, is that not true?

I am an expert in Eudora. I will opt out and allow someone else to work with you.

I wish you the best of luck.

Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.

Hello! I am IT Miro.

Remote desktop assistance is a good way for Computer Experts to check for any errors that may arise upon configuring a new e-mail account in Eudora. That is why the previous two Experts suggested it.
Since you don't want remote desktop assistance, but only the text instructions, I am sending you them. The instructions are based on what I have found regarding the Riseup.net mail server configuration.
Please note that this isn't about finding an Eudora Expert, but it is about finding the right Riseup.net mail server configuration. Being an Eudora Expert doesn't mean being an Expert in configuring all e-mail accounts that exist, since you actually need to know which server to use, which port, etc.
I hope you understand that. Now, let's move on the instructions.
First, I suggest starting over since I see you have experimented with the various settings. Here is what you need to type/correct in Eudora. Click on Tools and then Options.... to begin.
Click on "Getting Started". Use the following settings:
- Real name: your name
- E-mail address: your Riseup.net e-mail address
- Mail Server (Incoming): mail.riseup.net
- User Name: your Riseup.net user name (only the part that comes before the @ symbol)
- SMTP Server (Outgoing): mail.riseup.net
- Allow authentication: checked
Click on "Checking Mail". Use the following settings:
- Mail Server: mail.riseup.net
- Send on check: checked
- Secure Sockets when Receiving: If Available, STARTTLS
Click on "Incoming Mail". Use the following settings:
- Server configuration: IMAP
- Authentication style: Passwords
Click on "Sending Mail". Use the following settings:
- Email Address: your Riseup.net e-mail address
- Domain to add to unqualified addresses: riseup.net
- SMTP server: mail.riseup.net
- Allow authentication: checked
- Immediate send: checked
- Send on check: checked
- Use submission port (587): checked
- Secure Sockets when Sending: If Available, STARTTLS
Click OK to save the changes. That should be it. Now check if you can both receive and send e-mails.
If something doesn't work, you can type your Riseup.net e-mail address instead of user name, and check again.
Let me know the results.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi IT Miro, At least we are on the right track!Unfortunately, you seem to be using the PC version of Eudora, while I have a Mac. But I did the best I could to match up your "Tools/Options" with my "Settings", and I still got the error "SSL negotiation failed".In the Mac version, there are several additional relevant setting switches than the ones you describe, in various subsections of the Settings. eg "Use relay personality if defined?" "Use smarter IMAP connection managment?" "Authenticate with cleartext passwords only?" "Use UIDPLUS if avaliable?" "SSL for IMAP: None/ Required (TLS)/ Optional (TLS)/ Required (alternate port)?" "Standard Port SSL Negotiation: maximum compatibilty/ older SSL implementations/ TLS 1.0 (Cyrus)?" and a similar query for Alternate Port SSL Negotiation, plus some place to enter various port numbers.
Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.
I used Windows computer to write those instructions. I also have a Mac computer, so let me check the options there, and will get back to you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
wonderful, thank youi!
Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.
OK, here are the instructions for Eudora for Mac:
"Getting Started":
- User name: your Riseup.net user name (only the part that comes before the @ symbol)
- Mail Server: mail.riseup.net
- Real name: your name
- SMTP Server: mail.riseup.net
- Make Eudora the default Mailer: yep
"Checking Mail":
- Mail Host: mail.riseup.net
- Mail Protocol: IMAP
- Location prefix: leave empty
- Download Options: as you wish
"Sending Mail":
- Default Domain: riseup.net
- SMTP server: mail.riseup.net
- Use submission port (587): checked
- Allow authorization: checked
- SMTP Relay Personality: None
- Immediate send: checked
- Send on check: checked
- Use separate thread for sending: checked
- Fix curly quotes: checked
- Keep copies: checked
- Automatically Fcc to original mailbox: un-checked
"SSL":
- Personality: Dominant
- SSL for POP: None
- SSL for SMTP: Required (Alternate Port)
- SSL for IMAP: Required (Alternate Port)
- Standard Port SSL Negotiation: TLS 1.0 (Cyrus)
- Alternate Port SSL Negotation: Maximum Compatibility
Click OK to save the changes and then check e-mails.
The other options you mentioned are advanced options that aren't needed for the Riseup.net e-mail account, so leave them as they are - do not change anything. If you already did, then I suggest loading a new e-mail profile (personality).
If you still get error messages about SSL, then change "Required (Alternate Port)" to Required (TLS) for both SMTP and IMAP, then check again.
Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry, I need to step away from the computer for about 3 hours.

Let me know the results here and I will respond when I return.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Well there is progress! Instead of a SSL error message, I got "Unable to get the required mailbox list from the server". While you are away, I'll try to figure out what that means, and fix it!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I got that error message to go away, by switching to POP instead of IMAP. However, I have sent test messages both to and from the riseup account, and neither arrived (the outgoing message just sits in the queue, with no error message). I'm going to give up for tonight, and see if this clears up on its own, which sometimes happens (it seems the server resets or something). "Talk" tomorrow!
Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.
I am back, but headed straight to bad.
Keep me informed about Eudora's "behavior".
In case the problem is still there, I will provide some suggestions for you to try.
Regards,
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It is still there :-( However, I'm going to have to pay attention to some other things for a few days. I will let you know when I have time to start trying other settings. Thanks again for your help so far!