Jess M., Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Computer Software Support Specialist for more than 10 years
49766785

My name's Billy. Just recently I logged onto my hotmail

Customer Question

Hi there,
My name's***** recently I logged onto my hotmail account at a Paris Internet cafè (as me and my fiancè are on a European holiday). Two or so days later I went to log back on and couldn't. A message saying that "it appears that someone else is using your account" came up. I followed the prompts to unlocking my account. Tried sending the code to my linked email but when I tried to log into that account the same message came up about someone using that accoint too. The phone number linked is a number I have never owned nor seen before. So I filled out the identification form 5 or so times) and so far have been unsuccessful. I am worried because all of my pay slips and a lot more of my personal information is sent to that account. I really need to regain access to make sure everything is ok. And I do not have access to a phone whilst travelling by the way. Please help me!!! :/
Category: Email
Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.

Hi, welcome and thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I am glad to assist you today.

I am very sorry about your Hotmail issues. It appears that the account was hacked or compromised. Now, is the alternate email (linked email) that you mentioned also inaccessible? IS that alternate email also a Hotmail account?

Please let me know so that I can help you further.

Best regards,
Jess

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it seems that it has also been tampered with as I could not access it. It is also a hotmail account
Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.

Ok, so this is a double hotmail issue then. By the way, what happened when you tried to reset the first Hotmail?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I couldn't even get into the first hotmail. Is said 'it appears that someone else is using your account' so I followed the prompts. The linked email was also inaccessible and the last two digits on the linked phone number is ***** and never has been one of my numbers. So I had to fill out the information forms to unlock the account which all failed..
Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.

Did you get a response from Hotmail that you provided insufficient information to recover the account?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
that's correct
Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.

I am very sorry about your issue. Have you tried to recover the second Hotmail through reset? Is it also giving you the same recovery problem?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The second hotmail is never used and the information is going back way too many years to remember if I even put correct information in.. I can't understand why the requests came back denied for the primary account as the information is all correct..
Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for that information and I am very sorry about the persisting issues. This is indeed very frustrating especially knowing that someone could have accessed your account and use it without your permission.

You failed in the recovery process because the information you could have provided are incorrect or insufficient. The hacker could have changed your information there so the info you entered in the form no longer matched to the info on your account.

However, in the recovery form, the info are checked by the Hotmail system with no human intervention. Any non-matching information can cause your request to be denied.

Can you confirm if you filled out ALL the required info especially the data in your account like the subjects of the emails last sent, the email addresses you last sent messages to, and others?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yeah I filled out the forms and I know 100% that the sent subjects and email addresses sent to and the new folders I made are correct.. I wonder if maybe when I made the account I put a fake birthdate or something in.. Would these 3 sections (email subjects, addresses and folders) be enough to unlock my account???
Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.

No, personal information weighs higher than the 3 you mentioned since Hotmail will first verify if it is really you who owns the account.

Your next and only option here is to contact a real person who can check your hotmail account personally for you, as opposed to the automated system checking of your submitted form.

Have you tried contacting the Hotmail moderator?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No I haven't yet. Perhaps I need to get in contact with him.. Sorry if I have seemed hasty. This is just super frustrating for me..
Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for that confirmation and I am very sorry about your issues. In order to contact a Hotmail moderator, you need to be signed in to a Hotmail account first. So the very first thing you can do now is CREATE a new Hotmail account and sign in. Then tell me if you are signed in already.