Jason Jones, Computer Technician
Experience:  10+ years of work experience.
30759776

I am trying to import an OLM file into Outlook 2011. I

Customer Question

I am trying to import an OLM file into Outlook 2011. I accidently cancelled the import and when I try it again it will not let me select the file to import and then tells me I cancelled the import. Is there any way to reset something so I can try the import again?
Category: Email
Expert:  Jason Jones replied 1 year ago.
I am an Information Technology Professional with over 15 years of professional experience. I am the technician assigned to your case today. I look forward to working with you and resolving this problem.
You can simply import the OLM file again. Simply choose to allow it to overwrite any duplicates. That will work.
I will be standing by.
Thank you,
Jason
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When I select import file I check off Outlook Data File, press next, select .olm file, press next, and the next screen greys out and says Outlook is importing my file and I am not able to select the file again although it does show the files I can select. The only thing I can choose is Cancel and then the import says Outlook did not import all your data. You stopped the import process before it completed.
Outlook thinks that the import process is still running. Are you sure that it is not still running?
You may wish to restart your computer once and repeat the import instructions.
I look forward to hearing your feedback concerning whether or not that got you up and running.
I hope to hear back that the import is working.
I will be standing by,
Jason
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This has been going on for two days. I have restarted my computer many times, trying the import again after it is back up and the same thing happens every time.

Is this a new mail profile that you are putting together from scratch or an older profile that you are importing new items to?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
An older profile. Initially I had exported the messages into an .olm file but after I did that all my messages were gone so I then imported it back again and hit cancel by accident and now I'm stuck
Thank you for the update.
May I start a remote screen sharing session with you so that I can better help you resolve this problem?
When the remote begins, a chat window will appear that we can use to communicate with each other.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry, just saw the extra charge for that. I think I'll pass.
I'm sorry for the confusion. Yes, that is an extra charge. We don't have to do the remote, however.
Please, follow the instructions below to solve your problem:
- Click the Start Button > Programs > Accessories > System Tools > System Restore.
- Choose to Restore to an earlier time > Click Next.
- Choose a date at least one day before you started the import.
- Click NEXT > NEXT > NEXT.
- After the computer reboots, please start the Import again.
I look forward to hearing your feedback concerning whether or not this got you up and running.
I hope to hear back that the restore 'undid' any issues.
I will be standing by,
Jason
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This is on a Mac
I am sorry to say, but that was not mentioned initially.
I am out of ideas here, but don't worry. I will contact one of my peers and ask them to continue working with you. When they pick up this task, you will be notified by email.
-Jason
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
olm files are for Macs only I though. That's why I didnt point it out.