James K., Consultant
Experience:  Technical Director of IT Company
20304743

I was trying to set up 2 step verification google account

Customer Question

I was trying to set up 2 step verification for my google account and someone else obviously has done this on my account. It requires that I get a phone message that would be sent to a number ending NOT in my phone number. I want to find out who this is - the actual phone number - and secure my account as I feel someone else has remotely accessed my email by somehow giving permission to themselves to use a different computer. This is very serious please help.
Category: Email
Expert:  Barun replied 1 year ago.
Hi, and thank you for asking your question. Just to clarify, are you currently able to log in to the account in question? Also, I assume 2-Step Verification is turned ON for your account now (with a different number)? May I set up a quick remote session, which will allow me to connect directly to your screen and check the account settings here? Please reply back to me below. Thank you.
Expert:  Barun replied 1 year ago.
If you would like me to provide you with the steps to carry out yourself to check and change the associated phone number (instead of a remote session), that's not an issue - just reply back to me below. Thank you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I do not have the screen up - and don't assume things. I was trying to do the 2 step verification on my google account. I was using my iPhone. It allowed me to do the first 2 steps - I got a code number to enter and then when I tried to complete the final step - to allow that devise to access the account it would not complete.
So I went on my computer - logged into my google account and tried to do the 2 step process - I put in my email and password ***** the part came up about sending a code to my phone ending in 2 didgets which are not my phone and not the phone that I have associated with the account. So I couldn't do the process because the code number would be sent to this other phone which I only was given the last 2 digits of. I have had a lot of problems with my gmail - I would click on the app and some email was already open that I didn't open. The dot to the left of the email was not there showing it had been opened.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
is this a racket - I already agreed to pay you $58 and now you want more money to talk on the phone. Do you even know about gmail and what I am referring to
Expert:  Barun replied 1 year ago.
Please DISREGARD the phone (or any other) offers on your screen now; I'm not sending them at my end, but the site is. May I go ahead with a quick remote session now, so that I can check the account for you? Keep me posted.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't have the screen up so if we can do remote and get the screen up ok - again - don't assume anything. I am telling you exactly the situation - I could not set up 2 step verification - I was trying to do that - and there was a response that said a code would be sent to another phone number - not mine. I understand you take that code and put it in so you can then answer final questions.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
are you familiar with this process??
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yes I will do remote
Expert:  Barun replied 1 year ago.
Please rest assured; I've got down the exact issue you are having here. It's very apparent that your account has been tampered with, in some way - and we need to do three things:- Check the account log in activity- Check and change the phone number associated with the account- Change the account's password ***** security info
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I just changed my password
Expert:  Barun replied 1 year ago.
Let's get started with the remote session now. Please open up the following link:www.teamviewer.com Click 'Download TeamViewer'. A 'TeamViewer' file will be downloaded by your browser (at the very bottom.) OPEN/RUN the file, then install and run TeamViewer accordingly. Reply back to me with the ID and the password ***** (while keeping the TeamViewer window open.) If you face any issues, just reply back to me below.Thank you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I want to know what phone number that is on my account! and I don't want a code sent to it - then that person knows - besides I can't get the code if that's where it goes.
Expert:  Barun replied 1 year ago.
I completely understand the issue here; please do not undermine my abilities by re-typing the info again and again :) Follow the steps I provided above to download and run the TeamViewer tool, and let me know the ID and password ***** please. Thank you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I did and it's done
ID number is ***** 123 198
n8xt92
Expert:  Barun replied 1 year ago.
Okay, great. Connecting now - please allow/trust the remote connection, when prompted by your system. Thank you.
Expert:  Barun replied 1 year ago.
I have opened up your question to our other experts now. Thanks.
Expert:  Jason Jones replied 1 year ago.
I am an Information Technology Professional with over 15 years of professional experience. I am the technician assigned to your case today. I look forward to working with you and resolving this problem.
I can see that you may need a little bit of extra help.
May I ask if you still need help with this problem? If so, may I start a screen sharing session on your computer and help you resolve the problem?
Once the remote session begins, we will be able to communicate via a chat window on your computer.
Thank you,
Jason
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am not paying more - and without a response to my question - the person got ticked and shut down without the simple answer - so I am going to contact credit card company as this is a scam
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
in the middle this person decided I should not do a 2 step verification and stopped me from following through because she was frustrated in trying to give me an answer - I am not unable to understand - this person got going and couldn't pull it together
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
so I'm not paying for any more remote support
I don't know what happened earlier with the last tech. May I remote in at no cost and get you going?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't care how many years experience anyone has - customers ask questions - this person wanted to start all over and needed to follow through - not a good tech person but then I am probably used to help from Apple people who seem to better explain
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes at no cost
I am confused. It appears that you are judging my tech skills as poor before I was given the chance to help.
I have run out of ideas.
For this reason, I am opting out of the question and allowing another expert the chance to help.
The next expert will see all that is on this page, so there will be no need to repeat anything.
When another expert picks this up, you will be notified by email.
Thank you for your patience.
- Jason
Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.

Hello! I am IT Miro.

It looks like the previous Expert hasn't left any comments here after the remote session has ended, so other Experts cannot know what really happened, and if you still require assistance.
So, if the problem is still there, let me know if you still require assistance, so that I can help, or you would like to cancel this request.
Thanks,
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I would have followed thru with offer but your screens keep asking me to click on something and pay more - you can say it's free but that isn't what the screen I was to click on said.
Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.
You are not required to accept any additional offer. So, you can just click on "X" near a pop-up to close it.
If you still require assistance, please let me know what the previous Expert has suggested, so that I can avoid doing the same thing.
Thanks!
Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.
Hi again!
Do you still require assistance with this issue?
Let me know,
Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.
Hi!
Were you able to read my messages sent to you?