Richard, Email Systems Specialist
Experience:  Over 15 year experience in Email Systems and Programs
32989067

I'm having problems casting on Google Chromecast. I set up

Customer Question

I'm having problems casting on Google Chromecast. I set up last night per instructions and I'm not finding my ChromeCast0727 when I search for wifi networks in my settings on my iPhone. I have spent 2 hours and am extremely frustrated
Category: Email
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for your question. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you.
Sorry to hear about the problem you are having.
On this computer go to https://cast.google.com/chromecast/setup/
And set it up this way
Tell me if this computer finds it please.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes I am on that space but already set up the app last night. Are you going to take me through reinstalling the app?
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
No, just setting it up for first time use.
If you already set it up, its ready to be used, but you do not connect to it via the wifi on the iPhone (like any other wifi network) to use it, you use it via the Chromecast app you download from the app store.
You download the app from the appstore and it handles all the connection ect, to allow you to cast to the chromecast device from supported apps eg: Youtube, Netflix ect.
Just make sure the iPhone is connected to your home wifi that the Chromecast is also connected to. Thats how you use the device.
If you would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.
Else if you can take a second to rate my service by clicking one of the stars at the top of the screen then submit, that would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
But that's precisely the problem. My iPhone is connected to home wifi and chrome cast app takes me nowhere. It just shows background picture and has places to click sign in, devices and a couple of other things like a gear icon
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
And I already set up my phone as a device
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
yes, its not the actual app you use, it just gets the iPhone ready to communicate with it.
Open a youtube film, then you see the new cast icon appear, top right, press on that and choose your Google Chrome Cast device and you will see the youtube film cast to it onto the TV
This video shows how it works
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_6f50KDObu0
Let me know the results please
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't know what the cast icon looks like. Watched the video instructions but they don't show a close up of the icon so when you are watching the video on an iPhone you can't see it
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There is no cast icon or any other in the upper right or any other place on the YouTube video I was trying to cast
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Go back to the Chromecast App, and go to Devices.
Is your Chromecast device listed?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No. It says devices but nothing is listed. When I click on devices nothing happens. When I click on the plus sign, I guess to add a device, it says to go to my wifi settings on my iPhone and .... So it knows I'm on an iphone
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Is the iPhone connected to the same wifi network as the Chrome is connected to?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I followed the instructions to add
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My iPhone last night
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
If on the iPhone you open Safari and go to
https://cast.google.com/chromecast/setup/
Can you then set it up via the iPhone?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
You mean go through setup again?
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
yes, are you able to, from the iPhone via the instructions I gave
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Also, on the iPhone
Tap Settings.
Tap General.
Tap About.
And tell me the iOS version you have please
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When I went to reinstall it prompted me to open not install. Version was 8.2 (12D508)
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, and if you open it, then what happens?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I open it and I'm back to the screen I described before. The word devices with none listed and a plus sign and some selections relating to the background
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, remove the power to the Chrome cast and your wifi router and wait 5 minutes.
Then connect the power to your wifi router and wait 5 minutes
Connect the power to your chrome cast then on the iPhone hold the power and home button for about 10 seconds until you see the Apple logo, then release.
Let the iPhone restart and tell me if it is then listed please.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I can't disconnect the power to the wifi router because it is public and shared. Still try disconnecting chrome cast power?
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, though we may be forced to do things with the router and it being public could very well be the problem.
Are you at a university or something?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Nursing home
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, its very likely they block it, do the steps I gave except what involves the router.
Let me know the results please
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok will be back to you shortly then
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Thanks, ***** ***** it fails which I suspect it will, I know then the issue.
But let me know please
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
how did you go?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Didn't work
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, its the nursing home thats blocking it.
Normally you do not have as many issues as this, you are on a guest network there and this does not allow devices to see each other, which explains why your not able to cast to it.
This is the problem you have on all these networks, and why the Chromecast will only work on a proper home network.
Thank you