IT Miro, Computer Scientist
Experience:  Bachelor's Degree in Information Technology, Microsoft Certified Professional
30721786

I can't get my Outlook e-mail to work and synch with gmail

Customer Question

I can't get my Outlook e-mail to work and synch with gmail and other applications. I keep getting 185833 (failure) errors and 0x800CCCOE errors. Also gsynch 404 errors.
Can you help?
Category: Email
Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.

Hello! I am IT Miro and I will assist you on this question.

Please tell me your Outlook and Windows version you are using.

Thanks,
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Outlook 2013

Windows 8.1

Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for the information!

Are you unable to both receive and send e-mails in Outlook, or only one of that doesn't work, such as sending e-mails, but receiving works?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Can no longer open it.

Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.
Oh, I see.

Please check if you can open Outlook 2013 in Safe Mode where some options are disabled.

Here are the instructions:

Press the Window logo key and R key on the keyboard at the same time. It will bring up the Run... box. There type:

outlook /safe

and press Enter. Note that there is a space between k and /

Outlook 2013 should then start in Safe Mode. Check if the e-mail account is accessible.

If Outlook doesn't start in Safe Mode, another way would be to exit Outlook 2013 and then press and hold the Ctrl key while double-clicking the Outlook 2013 icon. You should see a dialog asking you if you want to start Outlook in safe mode so click Yes.

Let me know what happened.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

See below

Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.
Sorry, but I may not have received your full reply. I only see "See below" and that's it.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Outlook can not check names. It must be online to Exchange to do so. Note: still in safe mode.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

do you see i now?

Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.
If Outlook can start in Safe Mode, but not in normal mode, it could be that one of the installed Outlook add-ins is causing the problem since none of the add-ins are started in the Safe Mode.

Please disable all Outlook add-ins that you don't recognize or don't use. Here are the instructions:

1. Start Outlook in Safe Mode

2. Click FILE and then OPTIONS

3. On the left side, click on ADD-INS

4. There you can see a list of all add-ins. To manage them, click on the Go... button located next to COM Add-ins

5. A new window will appear with the check-boxes near each add-on. Once you have un-checked some of them, exit Outlook so that it can leave Safe Mode

6. Wait for about 15 seconds and then start Outlook normally

Let me know if it will start or the same error appears.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I unchecked all the add-0ns; closed down Outlook in safe mode; and tried to open normally.

still getting:

c:\users\JFKearney\AppData\Local\microsoft\outlook\*****@******.*** can not be opened message.

Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.
OK.

This appears to be a problem with the Outlook data file containing the stored e-mails. Please do the following which should help solve the problem:

Completely exit Outlook if it is open. Press the Window logo key and R key on the keyboard at the same time. It will bring up the Run... box. There type or copy&paste this command:

%userprofile%\AppData\Local\Microsoft

and press Enter

A new window will open. There locate a folder named Outlook. Rename it to something else, for example to Outlook-old. In case you cannot rename it, please restart your computer and try again. Just make sure you don't attempt to start Outlook before renaming.

Once you have renamed it, start Outlook normally. You may need to re-add your e-mail account again.

Let me know if this worked.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Did I miss your reply?

Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.
If you don't see it, it could be a problem with the page. I will copy my instructions again.

I wrote this:

%userprofile%\AppData\Local\Microsoft

and press Enter

Let me know if this worked.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Seemed to work, but now I get the following messages:

IMAP Server Alert:

Application- specific password *****:

https;//support.google.com/accounts/answer/185233 (failure).

No matter what password ***** put into this field, none of them work?

Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.
OK.

This new problem seems to be related to the GMail two-step authentication method. Have you enabled two-step authentication for your GMail account?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Tried too

Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.
Please check if you can sign in to your GMail account using the GMail web interface:

GMAIL LOGIN LINK

If yes, did it ask you to type the code sent to you by SMS (two-step verification)?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

no

Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.
Please click on the link below:

Signing in to Google

Let me know what you see for 2-Step Verification and App passwords located on the right.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I found the 2 step verification on Google showing "on" since July 2,10:29PM.

I "turned off" the 2-step verification and can log in, but I am now receiving:

IMAP Server Alert:

Application- specific password *****:

https;//support.google.com/accounts/answer/78754 (failure).

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I replied 10 minutes ago.

Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.
First make sure you have saved the changes for your GMail account. You can verify that by signing out of your GMail account and then signing back in. Don't just exit the browser, but click on Sign out button located in the upper right corner of the GMail - you need to click on your name or GMail address first to see it.

If the two-step verification is indeed disabled, but Outlook keeps asking for "Application- specific password", then it could be that Outlook remembered the last settings used for your GMail account - when you had two-step verification enabled.

So, please remove the GMail account from Outlook, then re-start it and add your GMail account again.

Click on FILE and then on Account Settings and Account Settings...

There you can both remove and add an account.
Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.
Hi!

Have you removed and re-add the GMail account? If so, is it working now?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I followed the above instructions and now when I click on Outlook 2013, I receive the message that com.ost cannot be opened?

Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.
Is that the same message as you saw before:

or it is another error message with another file name?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Another error message.

Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.
Has that error message started to happen after you added your GMail account or you added another (second) e-mail account in Outlook?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

After I tried to add the GMail account to Outlook.

Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.
OK. This seems to be a problem with the Outlook profile, so please do the following which should solve the problem:

1. Exit Outlook

2. Press the Window logo key and R key on the keyboard at the same time. It will bring up the Run... box. There type:

outlook /profiles

and press Enter.

3. The "Choose Profile" window will appear. There click on the New... button and type a new profile name (any name) and click OK

4. You will be asked to set up your e-mail account, so do that to re-add your GMail account

5. Once done, check if there will be any more errors

If no errors, you can use the newly created profile as the default profile. Repeat the 2nd step of the instructions to get to the "Choose Profile" window. There select the newly created profile name and click on Options >>. Now check the Set as default check-box. The new profile will now load when you start Outlook normally (by clicking on its icon).

Let me know the results.