Chris L., Support Specialist
Experience:  Certified Email Expert with over 10 years experience.
51029781

My wife created a gmail account a while ago that she now wants

Customer Question

My wife created a gmail account a while ago that she now wants to access (she never used this account). We don't remember the password. We don't have answers to the questions we are being asked to retrieve the password (i.e. the last password ***** remember?, the last time you used this account? when you created this account? etc) We never used any other applications associated with this account. She really wants to keep the address we created (*****@******.***). What can we do to regain access to this account?
Category: Email
Expert:  Chris L. replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** certified computer professional with over 10 years experience. I will be happy to help you. Unfortunately she will need to successfully complete the password ***** procedure or create a new account. Remember Gmail is a free service so there is not a way you can just call and verify your identity by your billing information. Ideally you should set up the recovery options when you first create the account such as adding a back up email address and a mobile phone number but it sounds like that was not done so your only option is to answer those questions. What I can do is give you a guide which may help you answer the questions successfully. Please follow these instructions.Please read through them once before you try so you understand. Go to the following link to begin the recovery. https://accounts.google.com/RecoverAccount?fpOnly=1. Enter the account you need access to, type the characters in the distorted image, and click the link at the bottom of the following page to verify your identity and access the form. Then you need to answer these questions, When was the last time you were able to sign in to your Google Account? (take your best guess) When did you create your Google Account? (take your best guess try and get at least the year correct) Email addresses of up to five frequently emailed contacts (name as many as you can) Name of up to four labels or folders in your gmail account (name as many as you can) Select up to 4 other Google products you use with this account, and the approximate date you started using them. These could be things like youtube or google plus. What is most important is you do not guess. You need to provide as much correct info as you can. So if you do not know something skip it but try not to skip everything or they will not let you in. Take time to fill out each section of the form to the best of your ability. It was designed to ensure that no one can gain access to your account except you. If you cannot remember the exact dates of you started using gmail or the last time you used it take your best guess. Since Google doesn't collect a lot of information about you when you sign up for an account, they will ask you questions like when you created your account, what Google services you use, and who you email frequently. If you fill out the recovery form and aren't successful on the first try, you can try again. Make sure to wait until you receive our reply before you submit another report. Important: Try to provide as much information as possible on each attempt. Each submission is evaluated independently. You may need to go through this a couple of times. Fill in the information the best you can and try not to leave too much blank. The questions we ask to verify your identity are intentionally difficult. Answer as many questions as possible, and make sure your answers are accurate. If you’re unsure about an answer, provide your best guess. If you fail 3 or 4 times in a row you may be shown an option to have a representative call you to help more, this is not always the case but I have seen it happen. Aside from the above the only option would be to create a new account unless she can remember the password ***** am sorry to say. Before you leave please do me a favor and take a moment to rate my service by clicking the stars above, 3 or more is very appreciated, we can still chat after rating if you need more help.Thank you,Chris