IT Miro, Computer Scientist
Experience:  Bachelor's Degree in Information Technology, Microsoft Certified Professional
30721786

Thunderbird 31.7.0 I set the font I want to compose

Customer Question

Hello.
Thunderbird 31.7.0
I set the font I want to compose in: Eurostile
Display:
Proportional: Serif
Serif: Eurostile
Sans-serif: Eurostile
Monospace: Eurostile
Font Control: Checked USE FIXED WIDTH FONT...
Character Encodings: Checked "When possible, use default...."
I will type a message in Eurostile. From time to time, the copy to myself is displayed in a different font.
Do you have a fix for me?
Thanks.
sm
Category: Email
Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.

Hello! I am IT Miro and I will assist you on this question.

Please try to determine when Thunderbird uses another font. I suggest creating a new e-mail and checking which font will be used.
After that, open any e-mail you received and click on "Reply" to reply to that e-mail. Type some text there and see which font will be used.
Finally, open any e-mail you received and click on "Forward" and type some text there as well.
Let me know if the default font changed while doing that.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
1. New email: Thunderbird uses the font I set: Eurostile.
2. Email received displayed in the font of sender (?), not the display font I selected. Reply: font when typing is what I set (Eurostile). My BCC of this message is displayed in the font for the email received, not what I set as display.
3. Email received displayed in the font of the sender (?), not the display font I selected. Forward: font when typing is what I set (Eurostile).
a. Email received is not in font I set.
b. BCC to my self is not in the font I set.
In "Font Control": "Allow messages to use other fonts" is NOT checked.sm
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thunderbird has all manner of inadequacies.... That is well known. However, one should be able to set the font for display and ignore fonts from original senders. Could this have something to do with character encoding?
sm
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Also... Why would TB change fonts in the middle of typing a sentence?
Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.
Hi again!
Your last reply saying "Why would TB change fonts in the middle of typing a sentence?" tells me that something is wrong with your copy of Thunderbird, most likely the Thunderbird profile that contains your e-mail account information and other settings has been corrupted.
To check that, you can load a new Thunderbird profile without deleting an existing one. Follow these instructions:
1. Completely exit Thunderbird
2. Click the Windows Start button and type or copy&paste this command below and then press Enter:
%appdata%
3. It will open the Roaming folder where you can find the "Thunderbird" folder. It is the location of the Thunderbird profile. Rename that folder to something else, for example to "Thunderbird-old". Doing so will force Thunderbird to create a new Thunderbird profile upon next start while keeping the old profile intact
4. Once you have done that, simply start Thunderbird again and it will load a new profile, meaning it will use default settings with no e-mail account added. Go ahead and re-add your e-mail account
5. After that, change the fonts again and test how it is working. In case you want to switch to the old Thunderbird profile, you need to rename the folder "Thunderbird-old" back to "Thunderbird" and restart Thunderbird
Let me know if everything worked while a new profile was loaded.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi. This is Thunderbird for Mac. OSX 10.9.5
sm
Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.
Hi!
Sorry, I thought you were using Windows so I provided the instructions for Windows.
For Mac OS, the procedure is the same, only the folder location is, of course, different.
To find the Thunderbird profile folder, you need to go to:
/Macintosh HD/Users/[your username]/Library
A quick way of accessing that location would be to click on Desktop, then on the Go toolbar located at the top and selecting Go to Folder... Type ~Library and click OK.
Inside the Library folder, you will see the Thunderbird folder. Rename that folder to something else, for example, to Thunderbird-old. In case you cannot rename it, make sure you have fully exited Thunderbird. If you still cannot rename it, you will need to restart your Mac and then try again - make sure not to start Thunderbird after the restart or it will lock the folder again.
Once you have renamed that folder, go ahead and start Thunderbird. It will now load a new profile. Add your e-mail account and change the fonts as you want, and check if it will work properly.
Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.
Hi again!
I am following up with you to see if you require further assistance. If you do, let me know.
If you don't require further assistance, please take a moment to rate my help to you using the rating box located in the upper right corner of the page (box with stars).
Thanks,
Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.
Hi!
Were you able to read my messages sent to you?