James K., Consultant
Experience:  Technical Director of IT Company
20304743

Can't configure gmail eudora settings

Customer Question

Hi Jeff, I can't configure gmail eudora settings after many many tries and reading countless people trying to help others on the net. Mine used to work, but no longer, even after importing quite a few certificates, but perhaps not enough. I have followed the examples here on your page and get this error message: logging into pop server SSL negotiation failed. the connection with the server has been lost. cause 5. I do get my mail at the gmail server, since eudora can not extract it.  I have tried just above everything I can think of, following all the advice of many on the net.  I will note one thing that may be of use.  I get a message that I have never negotiated an SSL, this after using gmail and Eudora for years.  Has this now become relevant in recent weeks?

Category: Email
Expert:  Jason Jones replied 1 year ago.

If anyone wishes to ask Jason a question directly,
they can do so at the following page: www.JasonFixedit.com

My name is Jason. I look forward to helping you today.
I can see that you may need a little bit of extra help.
May I ask if you still need help with this problem? If so, may I start a screen sharing session on your computer and help you resolve the problem?
Thank you,
Jason
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

thanks Jason,

I can not allow you on this pc. company policy.

this was just a matter of settings for gmail / eudora. Obviously after I spent so much time, I just assumed someone else would have to have done the same and had the solution on the web. I was wrong or my IT degree is worthless. I thought the solution would have been at hand. Obviously I was wrong. thanks for trying to help. fgc

Hello Frank,
The solutions vary because the culprits behind this problem vary.
Yes, millions of people have had the same issue. The problem at hand is that the issue has a multitude of culprits.
If you have 2nd Step Authentication setup in your Gmail account, you will have to enter the 2nd Step App Password. Have you done this?
-Jason
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

if we could start perhaps with the settings. the gmail eudora were working last week. thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Perhaps we could then start with the settings for eudora. the pw issues have not been a problem, and I should be able to identify a pw issue if it appears.

I see that you are against the remote option, which I very much respect.
For this reason, I am opting out of the question and allowing another expert the chance to help.
The next expert will see all that is on this page, so there will be no need to repeat anything.
When another expert picks this up, you will be notified by email.
Thank you for your patience.
- Jason
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I suspect from reading the various replys of experts that no one is going to even attempt spending five minutes in looking at the settings required to move gmail emails to eudora.. Only a modest expert will make the attempt to answer such a basic question of what the settings should be.

Expert:  Sandy replied 1 year ago.
Hi, I am Sandy and I look forward to help you today with the best answer possible.

I'm sorry about the issue.

What operating system is installed on the computer? Windows 8/7/Vista or other.

Please let me know.

Thank you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Windows 7 ultimate won't process eudora incoming emails anymore. My 8.1 laptop will. the settings are exactly the same. So I will just address the 7 ultimate machine's problems. I seem to be able to connect to server, but nothing is sent over to Eudora. SSL problem. Probably. but I am unable to open "Last SSL Info". This is new, not being able to open Last SSL and get certificates. thinking of finally giving in and just going to the awful gmail site. Help if you can. Preciate it muchly. fgc

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Sandy, I found this on your site.

Background: I was having no problems with Eudora 7.1 but needed

Customer Question

Background: I was having no problems with Eudora 7.1 but needed to get a new computer (Windows 8) and installed the same program on the new computer and then copied the various files in my prior program to the new Eudora. It now is working fine but I have 2 problems:

1. When I initially open the program and click check mail it will not work with the following explanation: Logging into POP server. SSL negotiation failed. The connection with the server has been lost. Cause: (5) AND
Logging into the POP server. Connection reset by remote side (10054)
However, if I click again on check mail after these messages Eudora works fine and downloads everything.

2. When I click on more than 2 names in my address book using the "Ctrl" key it will not let me click on more than 2 names: if I click on a third name one of the first two names becomes non-highlighted -- weird!!

Can you help? Thanks. XXXXX

Read more: http://www.justanswer.com/computer/7mkfb-background-having-no-problems-eudora-7-1-needed.html#ixzz3bYlNx4Sz

Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.
Welcome, my name is ***** ***** I will assist you today!
Im willing to go through this issue , brick by brick till we discover the issue.
First things first, on the Windows 8 machine where eudora is working. Do you have gmail setup as a pop, or imap account?
On the 7 Ultimate machine where it isnt working, what Imap or Pop3 settings are you using specifically.. Servers, ports, etc.
Also, and this may have already been done. Can you verify with 100% certainty that you have went to this page and allowed less secure apps to access gmail.
https://www.google.com/settings/security/lesssecureapps
If you go to that page ( after signing into your gmail account using a web browser ) Does it say that you have less secure apps off, or on. For eudora to work properly, we need that set to on.
Please respond when you can. Please be as detailed as you can with the information requested. This is a solvable issue. I look forward to finding the resolution with you.
Dustin S.
Senior Technician and Network Switching Systems Operator / Maintainer.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

thanks so much.

POP

IMAP may be better in the end. but I have been at least able to have the 8.1 working on POP.

I will do what you suggest, and then I will return to you with all the detai.

thanks again. the ball is in my court

FGC

Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.
Since its Pop, while you are gathering details.
Can you check on the windows 8.1 machine, whether its pop settings are set to " Leave messages on server"
This is important, critically important if you are using two devices , computers, to access the same account. If you are unsure how to check, let me know and I can assist.
Will await your reply when you are able.
Dustin S.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

yes, 8.1, leaves mail on server, but as noted, I now think settings at gmail prevent mail being sent, though I have reviewed gmail setting a dozen times. At this pt I am planning on dropping equipment off at some specialist's shop or trying to find something to replace Eudora. Tried new thuderbird replacement. it froze since it could not access gmail, and so I replaced it with 7.1.0.9

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

the local shop is incredulous that no one can supply the correct settings for getting gmail and icloud into Eudora. For a fee he is going to show me the settings, and I will post them here so others might know how to do this basic function