Richard, Email Systems Specialist
Experience:  Over 15 year experience in Email Systems and Programs
32989067

I can't get into my emails. When I go to the apps screen,

Customer Question

I can't get into my emails. When I go to the apps screen, I can click on the mail icon but then when I click on gmail at the bottom, my computer (laptop) freezes. Also if I click on any other apps on the apps screen, it freezes as well. Help! Susan
Category: Email
Expert:  Barun replied 1 year ago.
Hi, and thank you for asking your question.
When did you first start having this issue with opening the apps?
May I set up a quick remote session, which will allow me to connect directly to your screen and assist you with this issue?
Keep me posted.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
About a week ago. Yes.
Expert:  Barun replied 1 year ago.
Okay, let's get started with the remote session now. Please open up the following link:
http://www.justanswer.com/remotedesktop/join.aspx?Session=39250e19-59cd-40c9-b079-ae6a2c69c52b
Click 'I agree', then download the remote tool when prompted. An 'Elsinore Screen Connect' file will be downloaded by your browser (at the very bottom of your Chrome window.)
OPEN/RUN the file from your downloads, and I'll be connected.
If you face any issues, just reply back to me below.
Thank you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I clicked on the Download the Remote Desktop Client file again and it's still "loading" ?
Expert:  Barun replied 1 year ago.
Hmm, let's try using a different remote tool this time. Please open up the following link:
www.teamviewer.com
Click 'Download'. A 'TeamViewer' file will be downloaded by your browser (at the very bottom.)
OPEN/RUN the file, then install and run TeamViewer accordingly. Reply back to me with the ID and the password ***** (while keeping the TeamViewer window open.)
Thank you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can't get that to work either. YikesI think I need to get someone to come here to help me.
Expert:  Barun replied 1 year ago.
Hmm, so you are unable to open up the downloaded files itself? If so, no issues - please do this now:
Press the Windows key (at the bottom-left) + R on your keyboard to bring up the RUN box, and then type in rstrui and press ENTER.
Does a System Restore window open up this time?
Keep me posted.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The System Restore window opened up but then my computer froze. Had to contrl/alt/del to get working again.
Expert:  Barun replied 1 year ago.
Hmm, all right. Now, please swipe down your cursor at the top-right corner of the screen to bring up the Charms bar, and then HOLD down the SHIFT key and click the Power button (at the bottom) > Restart (while still holding down the SHIFT key.)
Does a blue "Choose an option" screen come up this time?
Keep me posted.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is charms bar the icons search, share, start, devices, settings (top to bottom)? If I open that then hold down shift key, the icons disappear! I'm telling you I'm very low tech here! I'm 70!
Expert:  Barun replied 1 year ago.
I see. Let me open up your question to our other experts now; you will be automatically notified when another expert picks this up. Thank you.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for your question. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you.
If this started a week ago I want then for you to do a system restore please.
To do this please carefully follow the instructions below
Go to the Windows 8 Start Screen and type restore point. When the search results appear click on the Settings category.
Now click on the option labeled Create a restore point and you will be brought to the System Protection tab of the System Properties control panel.
Click on the System Restore button and you will be presented with the main screen for System Restore. Now click on the Next button and you will be shown a list of available restore points that you can restore.
Select the restore point you wish to restore by left-clicking on the entry once. Use a date when this was last working so a week ago
Then click on the Next button at the restore point selection screen. You will now be at a screen asking if you are sure you wish to perform the restore.
Click on the Finish button. System Restore will once again ask if you are sure you wish to continue. If you are sure, please click on the Yes button.
System Restore will now reboot your computer and begin the restore process. Please be patient as this can take quite some time.
When its done, tell me if you still have the problem
I can also do these steps for you, and have made a request via Additional Services. This is optional, and if you choose to do this, I can, with your permission, remote into your computer while you watch and do all these steps (and deal with any problems that arise during them) for you. Or if you do not choose to take this service, we can continue here. This is no problem at all. Just let me know please.
Let me know the results please