Jess M., Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Computer Software Support Specialist for more than 10 years
49766785

My system is constantly invaded by messages

Customer Question

My system is constantly invaded by messages "Mail Delivery Subsystem" which claims that the messages have been delayed... but there are so many of these, right now four more have appeared within the original messages. How is this to be stopped? and cleaned up?
Thank you for your help.
xxxxxx xxxxxx
Category: Email
Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.
Hi, welcome and thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I am glad to assist you today.
I am very sorry about your issues. Are you using a computer with Windows XP, Vista, 7, 8 or a Mac?
Are you using an email program like MS Outlook 2010 or 2013 to send and receive emails? Or are you using a web browser like Internet Explorer, Chrome or Safari?
Lastly, what email service are you using? Gmail? Hotmail? AOL? Yahoo Mail? or others?
Please let me know so that I can help you further.
Best regards,
Jess
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm using G-mail and now since I've connected with you, nearly all the messages are invaded by this "Mail Delivery Subsystem" that states the message has been delayed... How are these to be stopped?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This occurs within G-MAIL...
Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for writing back with that information.
Can I remotely access your computer so that I can fix the problem directly while you watch?
Remote access is an optional additional service offer with a minimal one-time flat fee ($15) regardless of how long it will take me to fix the problem. We can resume any time without additional cost. It is safe as you will be watching your screen and we can chat right there, and it will be a faster mode of help.
Please let me know if you want this remote option.
Best regards,
Jess
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Well, my laptop is within a university. System although g-mail is not. Before I go any further it would be best for me to check in with IT services at my university.
Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for writing back with that information. I respect your decision to check with university IT first.
But to answer your question, if you are receiving these bunch of Mail Delivery Subsystem -Delivery Status Notification (Delay) emails, it simply indicates that the emails you SENT were actually NOT yet sent and was bounced for some reasons.
Please check the details of the delay notification that you got to see if indeed the reported emails were actually sent by you. I am asking you to do this because this is a common symptom of a hacked or compromised account and the hacker used your account to SEND OUT emails without your knowledge. Please check the delay notice and see if the emails were indeed the ones you tried to send or not. If not, then somebody else accessed your account and sent out emails on your behalf causing "spamming" alert on your account.
It is a best safeguard now to CHANGE your password ***** kick out possible hackers who accessed your account.
Keep me posted.
Jess