Jess M., Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Computer Software Support Specialist for more than 10 years
49766785

My Eudora, V11, gets the following error: "This server's SSL

Customer Question

My Eudora, V11, gets the following error: "This server's SSL certificate was rejected for the following reason: unknown error. Do you want to trust this certificate in future sessions?" I can't send e-mail currently. What can I do?????
Category: Email
Expert:  Chris R. replied 2 years ago.
Hello my name is***** and I would be happy to assist you today.
By version 11 do you mean you are using the Open Source Edition(OSE)? Also, are you by chance running Avast or another antivirus program with a Mail scanner?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I'm sorry, it's version 7, not version 11
Expert:  Chris R. replied 2 years ago.
That's OK. If that is the original Eudora then I am not quite familiar with it. I have used the newer versions that are different and are more like Mozilla Thunderbird. Do you have an Antivirus running? Does it have a Mail scanner? If so disable the scanners and see if you get the error again.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have, of course, tried that - it doesn't help. It may be related to the cox.net mail server. I'll try contacting them. Thanks.
Expert:  Chris R. replied 2 years ago.
It depends on what the error message for the SSL certificate is. It could be something that Cox needs to fix on their end. If you absolutely need to send mail then you can try using the webmail instead.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks. I had pretty much arrived at that conclusion!!!!
Expert:  Chris R. replied 2 years ago.
No problem. Sorry I couldn't be more help. The reason I asked earlier about the Antivirus is because some antivirus programs such as Avast that have the mail scanner, manipulate the certificates so that it can scan emails and it caused problems like you describe.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
BTW, I fixed it without contacting Cox. I just changed the server name and one of the instructions.
Expert:  Chris R. replied 2 years ago.
Glad you got that taken care of. Thanks for letting me know.