Michael Hannigan
Michael Hannigan, Email Expert
Experience:  25+ Years Experience in Field. MCSE, ICCP, Expert in Large Email Platforms
23511658

Road runner is sending emails to people in my address book.

Customer Question

Road runner is sending emails to people in my address book. Most are returned as undeliverable. Why is it doing this and how can I stop it?
Category: Email
Expert:  Michael Hannigan replied 1 year ago.
Hello. My name is***** can help you with your question. What you are seeing are the notifications of undeliverable emails that are being sent with your return address on them. However, that does not mean they were sent from you. Anyone can send a message with your return address on it and cause this to happen. When it does happen the only thing you can do is wait for the undeliverable messages to come back and delete them. For example, I could send an email out to 100,000 people with your email address as the return address. Out of those, 99,000 will probably be dropped by the receiving servers because they will recognize it as a forgery. What you are seeing is the result of those servers that are not smart enough to simply disregarded as a forgery. If you find that the emails are only going to people that are in your address book, although this would be unusual, it would indicate that there is a different problem – one with malicious software on your computer. So it is important to differentiate whether or not these undeliverable messages are going to people that you know or if they seem to be coming back from random email addresses. If they are specifically from people that you have already in your address book, let me know, along with what type of computer you access them on and we can go from there. Mike