Jess M., Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Computer Software Support Specialist for more than 10 years

I cant receive any emails in my Hotmail account. This just

I can't receive any emails in my Hotmail account. This just started yesterday evening. I have not changed and settings. How can I get my incoming mail working again?

I have had the account for over 20 years and this is a bit of a disaster for me if it can't be fixed.

Michael
Category: Email
Expert:  Jess M. replied 9 months ago.

Jess M. :

Hi, welcome and thank you for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am glad to assist you today. Please tell me when you are ready for chat...

Customer:

I'm ready now.

Jess M. :

Thank you fro joining chat.... Are you using a web browser like Chrome and then go to http://hotmail.com to access your emails? Or are you using an email program like MS Outlook 2007 or 2010 or Windows Live Mail 2012?

Customer:

I go to the Hotmail address to receive mail.

Jess M. :

Not using any email program I mentioned about?

Customer:

No.

Jess M. :

Thank you for that confirmation. Are you logged in to your Hotmail now?

Customer:

Yes

Jess M. :

Ok. Please try to compose a new email and then send that email to your own Hotmail account. Then see if you receive that email immediately...

Jess M. :

This is to test if you are receiving emails or not....

Customer:

Nothing

Jess M. :

Just sent the email?

Customer:

Yes

Jess M. :

Now, please go to your Hotmail page (not this chat page) and then press F5 key in your keyboard to refresh the Hotmail page....

Customer:

Done

Jess M. :

Are you getting emails after pressing F5?

Customer:

No

Jess M. :

Is your Hotmail page now appearing in blue with Outlook.com logo?

Customer:

It's green with the Outlook logo.

Jess M. :

Ok. Please look at the top left corner where there is a label "Folder". On the right of "Folder" there is a small circling arrow. Click on that small arrow to download new emails

Customer:

Nothing

Jess M. :

Ok. Let us check your settings if your emails are being forwarded....

Customer:

Ok

Jess M. :

Click on the small gear icon at the top right near your avatar, then click More Mail Settings

Customer:

Done

Jess M. :

Under Managing your Account, click on Email Forwarding

Customer:

Done

Jess M. :

Is it set to forward your emails?

Customer:

No

Jess M. :

If it is, please select Don't forward

Customer:

It is don't forward

Jess M. :

Is Don't forward select?

Customer:

Yes

Jess M. :

Ok. Have you checked your spam or other folders there?

Customer:

Yes. The usual settings.

Jess M. :

Other than your Inbox, emails could have been sent to other folders...

Jess M. :

Are you accessing your Hotmail account using mobile devices?

Customer:

Nothing in the other folders. The outgoing message that I just sent is in the Sent folder

Customer:

Yes. I use mobile devices - iPhone and iPad

Jess M. :

Do you access your Hotmail using smartphones?

Customer:

Yes

Jess M. :

Have you checked your mobile devices if the emails that you are expecting are already downloaded there?

Customer:

Yes. Nothing

Jess M. :

Are you using Chrome?

Customer:

messages are coming into my Preservation Pittsburgh account which I gave you the address for

Customer:

Yes. Chrome

Jess M. :

are you saying that the message that you just sent was received by the Preservation account?

Jess M. :

*Preservation Pittsburgh account

Customer:

No. I'm saying that messages from your organization came into the Preservation account

Jess M. :

Ok, you were referring to JustAnswer.com emails are received by the Preservation Pittsburgh account....

Customer:

Yes

Jess M. :

Let us go back to your Hotmail settings and see if rules were set... Please go back to the Hotmail settings and let me know when you were there

Customer:

Done

Jess M. :

Under Customizing Outlook, click on Rules for sorting new messages

Customer:

No rules

Jess M. :

Ok. Under Preventing junk email, click on Filters and reporting

Customer:

Ok

Jess M. :

For the first Junk email filter, is it set to standard?

Customer:

Yes

Jess M. :

Do you have other accounts added to this Hotmail account like any alias?

Customer:

No

Jess M. :

Under Writing Emails, click on Reply to address... Is your Hotmail address listed there?

Customer:

Yes

Jess M. :

Ok.... Do you have other web browsers there like Firefox?

Customer:

Just Explorer

Jess M. :

You mean Internet Explorer? Alright, please try to access your Hotmail using Internet Explorer and see if the emails are being collected there

Customer:

No

Jess M. :

You mean, there are still no emails downloaded when using Internet Explorer?

Jess M. :

Please try accessing your Hotmail using your other browser to test if this is a browser related issue.

Jess M. :

Also check if you have turned on the auto-vacation reply....

Customer:

I did. Nothing is coming in using Explorer

Customer:

No auto-vacation reply

Jess M. :

Ok. It seems that all your Hotmail settings are intact and standard....

Customer:

Seems that way

Jess M. :

Can you please tell me the name of your antivirus software?

Customer:

Norton

Jess M. :

Alright, please try to temporarily turn off or disable email scanning of your Norton. Or try turning off or disabling Norton for the sake of this troubleshooting.... Then test if your emails will come through

Customer:

Ok Give me a minute

Jess M. :

Yes, please take your time....

Customer:

I disabled the firewall and anti-virus for 15 minutes

Jess M. :

Yeah, that is alright... Now, please try to refresh your Hotmail and see if emails come in

Jess M. :

Try sending an email to yourself also

Customer:

No to refresh and email wasn't received

Jess M. :

Please try sending a new email to your own account

Customer:

I did send one from Hotmail to my hotmail account

Jess M. :

Still not received?

Customer:

No

Jess M. :

Can you please check your settings and see if there are emails listed in the Blocked senders list?

Customer:

No. just a bunch of spam addresses

Jess M. :

Alright.... Have you tried to logout from your Hotmail then log back in?

Customer:

Yes

Jess M. :

Ok. Please go back to your Hotmail settings, then under Managing your Account, click on "Connect devices and apps with POP"

Customer:

Ok

Jess M. :

Under POP, select Disable, then Save

Customer:

It's already on disable

Jess M. :

Ok, so reverse this time. Select Enable then Save

Customer:

Done

Jess M. :

Make sure the option below it is NOT to delete....

Customer:

That's the setting

Jess M. :

OK. Save your changes, then try to receive emails again

Customer:

Nothing

Jess M. :

Is your Norton still off?

Customer:

Yes

Jess M. :

Ok good....

Jess M. :

Have you checked your mobile devices if your Hotmail got emails there?

Customer:

Nothing on mobile devices

Jess M. :

Do you have any email filtering software installed recently?

Customer:

No

Jess M. :

Can you please try to go back to your Settings then Safe and Blocked Senders.

Customer:

ok

Jess M. :

For the Safe Sender, add your own Hotmail address there. Or the other address - the Prevention account....

Jess M. :

Then save the changes....

Jess M. :

Then test sending using your own Hotmail account or the Prevention account

Customer:

The Preservation address was in there. I added it earlier. I just added the Hotmail address

Jess M. :

Ok. Test sending now with any of the addresses

Customer:

Nothing

Jess M. :

Ok. Let us try to access your Hotmail using other portals.... Please go to http://mail2web.com/

Jess M. :

In that page, enter your Hotmail address and then your password XXXXX Check Mail

Jess M. :

See if you can access your Inbox and if emails are there

Customer:

Is this safe?

Jess M. :

Yeah....

Jess M. :

I just accessed my Hotmail.... They are a web hosting company and email provider.... so security is their concern as well

Customer:

It won't connect so far.

Jess M. :

Please give it a moment to login... I was able to access my Hotmail...

Jess M. :

This is to test if the problem is with your computer or with your Hotmail account only....

Customer:

Nothing so far

Jess M. :

Not connected? But is it still connecting?

Customer:

It is still trying but nothing is happening

Jess M. :

Can you please try it in Internet Explorer as well?

Customer:

It finally connected. No new emails.

Jess M. :

Ok, so basically, this is a Hotmail issue. I believe this is a server downtime from Hotmail's end.

Customer:

I checked online some people never get it back

Jess M. :

This means that nothing from your end is wrong. Not your antivirus software blocking your emails....Not even your browser. So this means that even if you perform a system restore, it will not help since it is the Hotmail servers that are clogged or congested at this time.

Jess M. :

I am very sorry about this issue. But what I can suggest is that you keep your settings and you turn back on your Norton for security....

Customer:

ok. Some people have just given up and gone to another account. That would be awful for me to do. I would have trouble for years. My address has been around for over 20 years.

Jess M. :

How many hours have you encountered this problem already?

Jess M. :

Or few days already?

Customer:

Since yesterday afternoon.

Jess M. :

Ok. I am really sorry about this issue. I truly understand your concern about your Hotmail account that you have been using for 20 years or more....

Jess M. :

Please refer to this link:
http://downrightnow.com/

Customer:

Thanks. Can anything be done?

Jess M. :

There you can see that Hotmail has been down, though not all servers since my Hotmail is not affected. So only few servers hosting just a segment of Hotmail users.... It has been down 22 hours already....

Customer:

Hotmail is up per the site

Jess M. :

I mean 22 hours ago....

Jess M. :

Yeah, it is UP but it was down 22 hours ago.... this means there was a technical downtime 22 hours ago

Jess M. :

So this could have triggered the problem you are having now....

Customer:

It could have, but it doesn't mean that it will come back does it?

Jess M. :

Yes, it will come back of course. I believe that you are not the only one affected by the downtime so Hotmail engineers could still be undergoing some fixes on their servers....

Customer:

Again other people just gave up after weeks of waiting

Jess M. :

Please give it 48 to 72 hours and see if your problem is resolved

Customer:

okay, but I get a lot of email and this will be a problem

Jess M. :

I am not sure with those other people. But I suggest you don't give up your Hotmail. Your still have your last shot when you can't still receive your emails....

Customer:

okay I'll try, but the longer I wait the worse it will be if I really do have to switch

Jess M. :

If you are still unable to receive emails after 48 or 72 hours....you can contact a Hotmail moderator.. This moderator has actual access to account status so he or she can check your Hotmail account problem and correct it for you....

Customer:

How do I do that?

Jess M. :

Please give me a moment while I locate the procedures that I documented....

Jess M. :

This is actually intended for blocked or locked account. But the main goal here is to have an actual contact from inside Hotmail, and that must be a Hotmail moderator so that he can actually check your Hotmail account status and problems....

Customer:

ok

Customer:

How do I reach a moderator?

Jess M. :

In the procedures that I created, it was assumed that the account is locked so another Hotmail account is required. Since you can still access your Hotmail, you can use it to reach a moderator....

Jess M. :

Here is the link of the procedures:

Jess M. :

I am referring to the last procedure, section C in the link I gave you.....

Jess M. :

When you reach the form after clicking on "Your account has been temporarily blocked", there you can write your full scenario of the problem....

Customer:

I found Section C

Jess M. :

Yeah, that is the section I was referring to. In the procedures, it is assumed that the Hotmail account is locked so it is advised to create a NEW hotmail account. But since you are still able to access your account, you can just use it to fill out the form.

That must be the last resort. I still suggest that you wait for about 48 hours and see if Hotmail fixes itself....

Customer:

Ok, but that could do nothing.

Jess M. :

what could do nothing?

Customer:

Waiting

Jess M. :

oh I see.... that is just an option for you since I believe Hotmail is still correcting any side effects after the downtime 22 hours ago....

Jess M. :

But you can go ahead and submit that form though....

Customer:

It didn't work for some other people. Their accounts never came back.

Jess M. :

Yeah, for some other people. I believe they did not contact Hotmail and just post on forums who do not have actual access to Hotmail accounts...

Customer:

Well I'll try the moderator right away. If he/she can access my account, it might help.

Jess M. :

Another scenario could be, those people could have given up early and did not monitor the results

Customer:

Some waited weeks

Jess M. :

Yeah, please. Also, after submitting the form, I suggest that you use your other account since Hotmail will send you emails regarding the progress of the recovery or complain

Customer:

I'll give them one of my other non-hotmail addresses

Jess M. :

Yes please....

Jess M. :

And just wait for few hours for Hotmail to contact you. The speed of their reply (though you might get an autoreply to inform you they got your email) actually depends on the number of complaints they receive now or today....

Customer:

ok

Jess M. :

Thank you for your patience. I hope this helped and I hope you are able to get your Hotmail corrected.

Customer:

Thanks. I really don't have a fix. Only a direction that I don't know will work.

Jess M. :

You're welcome. So far, I have tested those procedures with many Hotmail users to recover their account. But contacting the Hotmail moderator is conclusive since he or she can tell you the actual status of your Hotmail problem....

Customer:

Always fix it?

Jess M. :

Yeah.... Their account are always recovered. Except for the few people who cannot verify or prove that they are the owner of the account they are trying to recover. getting in touch with Hotmail moderator is the best last step for Hotmail issue.

Customer:

I'll see.

Jess M. :

We have already tried the fixes from your end and they are intact.

Jess M. :

Just wait for few hours for Hotmail to respond to you.

Customer:

I know. I getting tired. I'm sick today. Off work and need to get back to bed.

Jess M. :

Ok. Please take your time to rest.

Please remember to rate my service positively (3-5 stars/faces) once you have all the information you need. Tips are always highly appreciated!

If you have any other questions, please ask me or reply to me – I’ll be happy to respond any time.

Thank you!

Best regards,
Jess

Customer:

Thanks. Need to go.

Customer:

I'll give an okay service. You tried.

Jess M. :

You're welcome. If you have time to rate my service, that will be appreciated. Thanks.

Customer:

ok bye

Jess M. :

Thanks....

Jess M., Computer Support Specialist
Experience: Computer Software Support Specialist for more than 10 years