Richard, Email Systems Specialist
Experience:  Over 15 year experience in Email Systems and Programs

When using a contraction (apostrophe) in emails the apostrophe

When using a contraction (apostrophe) in emails the apostrophe becomes "'" in lieu of the apostraphe. All effort to eliminate this problem failed. Does Yahoo have a solution?
Thanks for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I look forward to assisting you.

Can you tell me please which version of Windows you are running?

Thank you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I thiink it's version 3; the screen shows XP when I log in. I know I don't have 7 or 8 versions. My computer is quite old; maybe 7 or 8 years old; a COMPAQ by name. There is a version called "Vista" but it came out after mine and I don't have Vista.

I want to make sure you have the correct keyboard layout Gene

Click Start , type

in the Run box, and then press ENTER.

On the Languages tab, click Details.

Under Installed services, click Add.

In the Input language list, select the language that you want. For example, select English (United States)
In the Keyboard layout/IME list, click United States, and then click OK .

In the Select one of the installed input languages to use when you start your computer list, click English (United States) and then click OK.

In the Regional and Language Options dialog box, click OK.

Note The Language bar appears on the taskbar. When you rest the mouse pointer over this bar, a tooltip appears that describes the active
keyboard layout.

Click the Language bar, and then click English (United States).

Once done, test and tell me if it now works correctly please

Thank you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Sorry Richard. I had thought you had corrected the problem with your suggestions (which I followed) but after testing my incoming email using contractions I was disappointed to see that the apostrophe was still showing ' instead of a proper apostrophe. Could this be a virus of some sort?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

After much frustration over not having an apostrophe appear as such; (instead it is shown as: ') I finally asked the internet why this was happening? The best answer given by the internet is below:

Best Answer - Chosen by Voters
"It sounds like this is happening when you're putting something into some Internet form somewhere. You can't fix it. It's a problem that the webmaster of that site needs to fix. Basically, an apostrophe is a special character that means something in databases. Therefore, you can't actually store an apostrophe in a database. Instead, the web program converts it to "'s". Whomever programmed the web site forgot to include a function to translate that back to an actual apostrophe when fetching it from the database."

The contraction normally used by me will now be ignored and I shall use complete words to express my thoughts.

No, it wont be a virus.

So you see

instead of

On emails you type?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I think the problem is not one a customer can correct. From the info received from the inrternet it seems the difficulty arises from the database program failing to provide for the apostrophe symbol (') to be retrieved properly. Presumably the matter should be referred to the database programer. Thanks for trying go help. GENE

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Richard: Today is Oct 15th; the apostrophe problem still exists. I have concluded it is beyond the consumer"s ability to correct. Answering the questions in the top of this email: (1) I have no more questions at this time
(2) I already rated you which is supported by the content of this email, above. Thanks again for trying even though the problem was not corrected. Gene