Jess M., Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Computer Software Support Specialist for more than 10 years
49766785

Hello; I just sent an email to some work colleagues on my

Hello;

I just sent an email to some work colleagues on my Outlook account. I use Windows 8. I also saved a copy in my "sent" folder. I went through my documents to the one I want to send and clicked on "select" from the dropdown menu. When I reviewed the attachment in my sent solder a window came up that looks like it can give my recipients total access to all of my files on my computer...I don't want this. Can I prevent the email from getting through to them once I've sent it??? Help!!!
Category: Email
Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.
Hi, welcome and thank you for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am glad to assist you today.

Are you using MS Outlook 2010 or 2013?
Also, can you capture a screen shot of that window that you mentioned that intends to grant your recipient's access to all your files? If you can capture a screenshot, please attach the image here when you reply or upload it to http://wikisend.com and then give me the 6-digit File ID or download link so that I can get your screen shot.

Best regards,
Jess
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I think it's 2013.I just bought the laptop two weeks ago and it has Windows 8 on it. How do I capture the screenshot?

Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.
Hi Nigel,

Thank you for writing back. Please click on the link below for a detailed procedures in capturing a screen shot of the problem window:

http://technicalforum.org/how-tos/how-capture-or-take-screen-shot

After saving the image, you can attach it here using the paper clip icon. If you don't have that paper clip icon, go to http://wikisend.com, upload your image there, then give me the 6-digit File ID or download link so that I can get your screen shot.

Best regards,
Jess
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I'm having extreme difficulty doing this.

Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.
Nige,

I am sorry to hear that. In short, you just need to:
  1. Make sure that the window or screen that you want to capture is shown
  2. Then press the Print Screen key in your keyboard. It desktop computers, it is labeled as Print Screen Sys Rq. In laptops, it is PrtSc.
  3. After pressing that key, the screen image is already capture and stored in computer memory.
  4. Open MS Paint software.
  5. Then make a PASTE there. Click on Edit then click on PASTE.
  6. Then the captured image shall be pasted
  7. Save the file
  8. Upload it to wilkisend.com and give me the 6digit file ID

Jess

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Where do I find MS paint software in Windows 8?

Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.
Please press WindowsKey and hold it, then press R. (WindowsKey is the key in your keyboard with the Windows logo, usually beside ALT key).

In the RUN box, type "mspaint" (without the quotes please) then click OK. That shall open Paint in short way.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I found MS Paint but I can't figure out how to copy the screen to send to you. Is there a way that you could view the email that sent and determine if the recipients can access all of my files??

Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.
Nigel,

Here are the steps and tell me which one confuses you:
  1. Prepare your screen. The window that you want to capture must be shown, this is referring to the window that intends to grant access to your files, the one that you described to me.
  2. When that window is shown in screen, press the PrtSc (Print Screen) key in your keyboard.
  3. Done that, in open the MS Paint software, click on Edit then select PASTE
  4. The screen shlal now be paste in MS Paint
  5. Save it. Remember the name you gave it and the location where you save it
  6. Now using your web browser, go to http://wikisend.com
  7. Upload your screen shot there
  8. Then give me the 6-digit File ID that you got after uploading the screen shot so that I can get your screen shot.

Jess

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I can't find an 'edit' on my version of MS paint

Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.
Alright, when you are in Paint, press CTRL+V to paste. That means press CTRL key and hold, then press the letter V.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I think I've done it...the number they gave me is 309902.

Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.
Nigel,

Thank you for the screen shot. So are you saying that the file that you attached to your email is called "Red Book Update - Broker 672.zip"?

Jess
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Correct. When I pull up the saved copy of my email, that is the screen that appears. I also notice that I'm able to click on "documents", "pictures" and the rest of the links on the left-hand column and they open up when I do. Will my recipients now be able to open the rest of these files like I did or is this only happening because I'm doing it on my own computer. I don't want them to have access to my files, just the attachment I sent them.

Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.
Nigel,

Thank you for that confirmation.

Your computer and all your data are secured. Your recipients WILL NOT be able to access the data in your computer. They will only receive the file that you sent to them as an attachment.

Here is the explanation on the screen shot you gave me.

All the files that you see there, specially in the links in the peft hand side, they are all yours. You are simply browsing the contents of your computer. This is actually NOT viewable by other people in their computers.

Actually, the links in the left panel starting from Favorites to Networks are accessible only by you in your computer. You cannot access that also from another people's computers. They are called navigational shortcuts to help you locate files and folder in your computer.

When you are actually seeing is a copy of the sent attachment and that copy is stored in your computer. That is NOT what your recipients will access when they open the attachment you sent to them.

Therefore, rest assured that your computer is safe and no one from your recipients will be able to access your data.

Please remember to rate my service positively (3-5 stars/faces) once you have all the information you need. Tips are always highly appreciated! Cool

If you have any other questions, please ask me or reply to me – I’ll be happy to respond.

Thank you!

Best regards,
Jess
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

So to confirm, recipients will only see the attachment....right? Even if the screen I sent you was to appear on their computer for some reason and they tried to click on the links in the left panel, they won't be able to access anything...correct?

Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.
Yes, they will not be able to access your files. They will only get the file that you sent to them as attachment.

Also, the link in the left panel are available in any computer running Windows. That is how Windows is designed.

But, that links in the left panel will allow the user to browse their own computer. Like in your case, when you click on those links, what you see are those that are in your own computer only. In other people's computer, they will also see the contents of their own computers.

Rest assured then that your computer is safe and your recipients will not see the files in your computer. They will only get what you sent to them in your email.

Thank you!

Best regards,
Jess
Jess M., Computer Support Specialist
Experience: Computer Software Support Specialist for more than 10 years