jctservice
jctservice, Consultant
Experience:  I'm an experienced IT systems administrator and engineer.
70537868

I am having trouble with my laptop. My desktop is operating

Customer Question

I am having trouble with my laptop. My desktop is operating fine. My emails keep repeating. I select send/receive, it states 1 of 407, updates the new emails and then will take hours for the rest to cycle. After the new emails are delivered and the cycle begins, the count at the bottom keeps increasing, however, there are no emails being delivered to my inboxes. How do I get this to stop happening everytime I turn the computer on? I am using Microsoft Outlook 2007 Basic through Roadrunner POP. I have deleted my antivirus and reinstalled. I have backdated my computer to an earlier date. I have let the computer run all night until the message counter reached the end and it just began again.
Category: Email
Expert:  jctservice replied 1 year ago.

jctservice :

Hi there! I'm Joey, and I'm happy to assist you today!

jctservice :

I've seen this behavior when the mail server starts to have too many messages on it. There is a setting in outlook that will remove the emails from the server once they have been copied to to your outlook.

jctservice :

This will usually clear up the long cycles of email checking. Let me know when you are ready, and I can assist with the how-to

Customer :

Hi Joey,

jctservice :

Hi there. So you are using outlook 2007, correct?

Customer :

I like to leave a copy on my desktop after reading. Is this something different that you are speaking of. I apologize, however, I am not computer literate

Customer :

yes, correct

jctservice :

great. First, open outlook of course

jctservice :

When it opens, click Tools, then Accounts Settings from the menu bar:

jctservice :

Highlight the account you want to change, then click Change to open the settings window

jctservice :

that should get you to the "change email account" window -- on that window, click the "more settings" button

jctservice :

then click the "advanced tab"

jctservice :

on that advanced tab, you should see an option for "leave a copy of messages on server"

Customer :

now it wont open at all

jctservice :

you want to UNCHECK that box and click ok

jctservice :

-- you mean outlook won't open so you can get to the settings?

Customer :

outlook will not open at all

jctservice :

hmm.. it may be attempted to check all the messages again as it opens, freezing it up

Customer :

thoughts? should I try to restore to prev version?

jctservice :

we can try to open it in "outlook safe mode" -- which limits plug-ins and may allow it to open without checking messages

jctservice :

to do that, hold the CTRL key while you click (or double click) to open outlook shortcut

Customer :

I did this, it asked me if I wanted safe mode, sa

Customer :

I said yes, and nothing

jctservice :

hmm... if you'd like, I can try to set up a remote assistance session, and allow me to see/control your computer and see if I can resolve that way?

Customer :

please

jctservice :

Please click this link to begin the download of the screen sharing tool. Once the download has completed, RUN or OPEN the file to start. You should see a small program open near the top center of your screen, with a 9 digit number. Please give me that 9 digit number so I can join your screen sharing session.
https://secure.join.me/Download.aspx?webdownload=true

Customer :

999-356-243

jctservice :

great, just a moment, and you'll see me connect. if i stop moving the mouse for a long period, i may have lost connection -- so check back on this webpage for futher input from me!

Customer :

ok

jctservice :

looks like i may have lost you from the computer freezing up

jctservice :

let me know when you are back

jctservice :

we can catch up tomorrow if need be. the setting should have stuck, but it may require outlook going through the messages one more time and removing them from the server.

jctservice :

once that is done, it should work better if there aren't additional issues! please update me when you get a chance, and i'll continue working with you to make sure this is resolved..