flopcat98
flopcat98, Consultant
Experience:  Consultant 30 years in nyc computer industry working with PC and networks banks brokerage legal etc.
23372949

I accidentally exported all my Outlook for mac data into a

Customer Question

I accidentally exported all my Outlook for mac data into a .olm file. Now when I import it, nothing happens (i.e. all my emails and calendar items are missing)
Category: Email
Expert:  Richard replied 4 years ago.
Thanks for your Question. My name is Richard and I look forward to assisting you.

Can you tell me exactly how you exported all yourr data into the OLM file please?

What steps you took?

Thank you

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

In Outlook, I clicked on the File menu then Export then chose the .olm option

Expert:  Richard replied 4 years ago.
Thanks,

Does the import complete successfully when you import it?

Does it say it does? How big is the OLM file?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Yes it says it does. It's 809 MB

Expert:  Richard replied 4 years ago.
ok, do this

Close outlook

Open the Office folder, and then double-click Microsoft Database Utility.app.

In the Database Utility window, select the main identity, and then click Rebuild.

The Rebuilding Main Identify window will open and show the progress. When the operation is completed, you will receive the message "Your database was rebuilt successfully."

Click Done.

Then open Outlook and try to import the OLM

Let me know the results please

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Same problem as before: it says "Outlook has completed importing your data". Then when I click OK and go into Outlook, none of my emails are there (except a few that arrived this afternoon) and my calendar is empty.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Are you able to help?

Expert:  Richard replied 4 years ago.
If you double click the OLM file, what happens?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

It turns into an Outlook email, with the OLM file as an attachment.

Expert:  Richard replied 4 years ago.
ok, and if you open that attachment?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

It turns into another Outlook email, with the OLM file as an attachment again.

Expert:  Richard replied 4 years ago.
ok, as an OLM file it should not do this.

Do you have another computer to restore this on?

Or can you go to File > Identity and create a new outlook identity and try to restore it please.

Let me know the results please
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

No I don't have another computer. When I go to the File menu there's no option "Identity"

Expert:  Lindie-mod replied 4 years ago.
Hi, I’m a moderator for this topic and I wonder whether you’re still waiting for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will do my best to find another Professional to assist you right away. I wonder whether you're ok with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you. Thank you!

Lindie
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hi Lindie,

I have managed to find the data (it was stored under My Computer) but now I don't know how to move the calendar data from the archive back into Exchange so I can see it on all my devices and so my PA can see it...

Hi

Thank you for your continued patience. We will continue the search for a Professional for you.

Lindie
Expert:  flopcat98 replied 4 years ago.

1 what version of outlook was it ?

2. what happened to the original data. Just exporting it creates an export file but it should not screw up the original data

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

The latest version of Outlook 2011 for Mac (v 14.3.2)

I accidentally checked the box to delete the original data at the time of export

Expert:  flopcat98 replied 4 years ago.

sorry I am still reading the stuff you did before.

at exactly what point are you at now? have you got it back in outlook but need it in exchange or you still need to get it in outlook

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thanks. I'm almost there now. I've moved my emails and calendar items into Outlook (they were hidden away, under "My Computer"). The emails are all sorted (I've uploaded them into Exchange).

As for the calendar items, I've tried uploading these back into Exchange using this procedure http://www.officeformachelp.com/outlook/faqs/#faq31

It's mostly worked, except any calendar items that weren't created by me (i.e. meeting invitations sent by someone else) are only in archive and not in Exchange.

If you could help with this last bit, that would be fantastic, Thanks

Expert:  flopcat98 replied 4 years ago.

which procedure did you use on that page ?

the move calendar items to another calendar ? If not I would try that one or I would try doing it that way and select a couple of the missing items and transfer them alone. Or if you created a new calendar on outlook to move these items to you may need to change the settings on it to allow other people to post to it again.

Expert:  Rachel-Mod replied 4 years ago.

Hi, I’m a moderator for this topic and I wonder whether you’re still waiting for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will do my best to find another professional to assist you right away. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you. Thank you!