Viet - Email Tech
Viet - Email Tech, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Ten years of computer software and hardware support; Windows 10 8 7 Vista XP etc.

I cannot open or delete emails in my Hotmail inbox. I also

I cannot open or delete emails in my Hotmail inbox. I also cannot access any of the many folders and subfolders I have created in the 5 months that I've been using Hotmail. I am able to create and send emails. The current problem has been in effect for over 48 hours. In the past when this happened, I could get things corrected by re-booting the computer. The problem exists whether I'm using my desktop or laptop, no difference. The problem is NOT encountered when using a friend's desktop at her house (same ISP by the way).
Category: Email
Expert:  Viet - Email Tech replied 4 years ago.

Can you make sure the following is done:

1. In your email , click Options, and then More options.
2. Under Customizing Hotmail, click Flagging. (or just click on the link
3. Then select "Don't show flagged messages at the top of the inbox".
4. Click Save. Then check email.

1. Go to the website and sign in.

2. Under Other options click on Connect with HTTPS (or go directly to the website
3. Choose Use HTTPS automatically
4. Click on Save. Then check email.

Does that work? Do you have windows xp, vista, or 7? If you have another computer at home, does it work?

Thank you.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I accomplished both tasks you suggested (don't show flagged messages at top of inbox and Use HTTPS Automatically). I checked my Hotmail after each step and I am still unable to open or delete emails. I have a Dell desktop and Dell laptop both running Windows XP and have the Hotmail problem on both computers. I was at a friend's house today (she fixes computers) and tried my Hotmail from one of her computers and it worked fine (could read emails, delete emails, etc.) I am about to give up and start using gmail.

Please go to Start, control panel, network connections.
(or click on Start , Run, and type ncpa.cpl and click OK.)

Right-click on the connected device/item, then click on Properties.
Select the “TCP/IP...” service in the list, then click the “Properties” button.

Then select the option Use the following DNS server addresses and add the following:

, then click OK, OK. Then check hotmail.

If that does not work, you can use to sign in hotmail.

But yes, I agree, gmail works a lot better.

Thank you.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Hotmail still not working - still not able to read or delete the emails in my Inbox. Also still not able to open any folders or subfolders. I then used the "" site. It brought up my Hotmail inbox. Clicked on 4 messages I want to delete and clicked on Delete. It took me to a page that showed the 4 messages and asked are you sure you want to delete these? I clicked yes and it took me to a page that said "Run Time Error". I went back to my inbox and the items were not deleted. I tried opening an email and it took me to a page that said Run Time Error. So I am still unable to delete or read emails in my Hotmail Inbox. One note: before the screen that said "Run time Error, I had a screen that asked me if I wanted to display both secure and unsecure info.
Any other ideas?
Sign out email, then log in at the secure site:
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Yes, I was able to read an email using that web site! But I don't see any of my folders where I put emails when using Hotmail. Also, not able to delete (got the Run Time Error when trying to delete several emails). Using this site to read an email would not be acceptable, except in one time, dire situation. If I used this site to read emails in an emergency, how would I later return to Hotmail and move the emails into folders?
Sorry, you can create a gmail account, and import all your mails and contacts from hotmail directly in gmail:

Thank you.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
So you are saying I should start using gmail for my email needs? And that I can have any emails that were sent to me at the Hotmail address brought in automatically to the gmail inbox?
And discontinue telling people my hotmail address.
Yes, you can go to the hotmail options, and set the Forwarding option to your gmail address. Thank you.