Ryan B.
Ryan B., Computer Specialist
Experience:  I work a Clinic IT Dept and deal with email issues every day
16548393

In Windows live mail, I can receive & open emails, but cannot

In Windows live mail, I can receive & open emails, but cannot write, reply, forward or send.
Gives an error message : A problem occured while trying to open this message Please try again.
Category: Email
Expert:  replied 2 years ago.

Ryan B. :

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer

Ryan B. :

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I would like to assist you

Ryan B. :

When did this start happening?

Ryan B. :

Try to do a repair on WLM. Bring up the start menu, in the search at the bottom type in programs and features and push enter. Now find windows live mail and then click on change and then click on repair. If that doesn't work then try to uinstall and resinstall it

Customer:

where do I click on change. I cannot see where to do it?

Ryan B. :

Should be listed at the top

Ryan B. :

Do you just have uninstall listed there and not change

Ryan B. :

This is where the uninstall/change button should be:

Full Size Image

Ryan B. :

ya there?

Customer:

Sorry my mistake it is there. But it doesn'thave windows live mail in the list. It has windows live sync or windows live ess 2011. is it one of them

Ryan B. :

it's the essentials

Customer:

ok will try that.

Customer:

Repair in progress

Ryan B. :

ok great

Ryan B. :

keep me posted

Ryan B. :

If that works please remember to click accept at the bottom right and leave positive feedback :)

Customer:

Will let you know what happens.

Ryan B. :

ok

Customer:

Unfortunately it didnt make any difference. If I uninstall the program won't it be out of the computer, so how can I reinstall it?

Ryan B. :

To reinstall it you would just go to http://download.live.com/wlm although the site seems to be down for maintenace that the modme

Ryan B. :

moment

Ryan B. :

could you tell me when did this start happening

Ryan B. :

have you thought about trying a system restore to a time when it did work

Ryan B. :

if this is something you would consider then do the following:

Bring up the start menu>click programs>click accessories>click system tools>click system restore. Click on choose another restore point and then click on a date time before this error occurred then click next then finish and your computer will auto restore and reboot

Customer:

It started happening about a week ago. I have tried a system restore to a few days before it started to happen but it didn't correct it.

Customer:

perhaps I should go back much earlier?

Ryan B. :

no, if you go back to before it happened it will either work or it won't

Ryan B. :

shouldn't have to go back any further

Ryan B. :

what kind of antivirus do you have?

Customer:

CA anti virus

Ryan B. :

have you tried to temporarily dislable it just to see if its conflicting with your WLM?

Ryan B. :

if its not though then I would say the next step is to uninstall and reinstall

Ryan B. :

WLM

Customer:

No but I have had both together for the past year, but I will give it a try anyway.

Ryan B. :

ok

Customer:

Didn't make any difference. I will try the uninstall & reinstall.

Ryan B. :

ok

Ryan B. :

keep me posted

Customer:

Hi again. Had to leave the computer for a while, but I have now done the uninstall & reinstall. It has worked and the email is working properly again. Thank you for your help, and I am very happy with the results.

Ryan B., Computer Specialist
Experience: I work a Clinic IT Dept and deal with email issues every day