Chris L., Support Specialist
Experience:  Certified Email Expert with over 10 years experience.

I want to shut down my yahoo email account as it has been

I want to shut down my yahoo email account as it has been hacked
Category: Email
Expert:  Chris L. replied 4 years ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. I look forward to assisting you today with your question and providing the best answer possible.

Are you currently able to log into your Yahoo account that you would like to close?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Expert:  Chris L. replied 4 years ago.
Ok great.

Click on the following link:

You will be asked to log in. Make sure you are logged into the correct account that you wish to delete.

Next you need to enter your password XXXXX where it says "We are sorry to see you go!
Are you sure you want to terminate your Yahoo! Account?
If so, please confirm your identity with your password."
Next enter the verification letter exactly as they appear. If these do not match the button will not work. If you can't read them click get a new code OR click audio to have the letters read to you. Once you have done this click Terminate this Account.

Please note that termination does not happen immediately, it could take up to 90days to be completely removed.

If you need further help please let me know.

Thank You

Remember, if for any reason you are unsatisfied with my answer, we can continue the conversation until you’re satisfied and Accept my answer. I can address follow up questions at no extra charge and I’m always here to help. Thank you for using JustAnswer!
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hi again,

When I clicked on the above link .. this is what I got. I tried calling and they said they can't do anything about it .. that I need to on-line

This is what I saw from the link after I logged in and put my password:

Something like .. sorry we can't close your account; you will have to call: 1XXX-XXX-XXXX

Expert:  Chris L. replied 4 years ago.
Did you enter the everything correctly on the page and everytime you click to terminate it says you cannot?

This could be because your account was hacked at one point and they have taken preventive measure to make sure that the hacker is not deleting your account. I believe the terminate request may have went through but because the account was used by a hacker they are not letting it delete right away for your safety.

You can try sending an email to this address explaining the situation:
[email protected]

I may be able to give you more information if you can tell me how you knew your account was hacked and did you have to contact yahoo to get the account back. Were you locked out of it at any point?

I feel like if you are doing everything correct than they have disable termination through this method for your protection.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hi Chris,

Just got back to this. Maybe I can have you reply to my new account - that's better: [email protected].

We knew the account was hacked when my whole address got a message soliciting money and said that I was in Wales and lost my passport. It started at 8:16am. We changed the password at 9:30am. All of my file folders were wiped. There was new mail in my inbox but I couldnt get in. My husband (in technology) went through some process to receive the lost files in the folders. I have forwarded everything to my new account that I need. It took a few days to get back in and get my folders. Now I can get into the inbox as well (also after a few days I could).

Some people suggest that I just need to leave the account for 6 months inactive and it will be deleted, but I'd rather do it immediately.

Expert:  Chris L. replied 4 years ago.

So happy to hear everything s straightened out. Also the account will automatically be deactivated after a certain of inactivity.

It is possible that the hacker is using your contacts and email but not actually sending from your email account they could be spoofing your account. Read More here:

And Here

You can check if the email is coming from your account by viewing your sent mail folder. If they are not in there than they no longer have access to the account.