flopcat98
flopcat98, Consultant
Experience:  Consultant 30 years in nyc computer industry working with PC and networks banks brokerage legal etc.

Outlook keeps asking for my password XXXXX one of my accounts.

Outlook keeps asking for my password XXXXX one of my accounts. Wow do I stop this? I'm using Outlook 2007 and Windows 7
Category: Email
Expert:  flopcat98 replied 2 years ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. I look forward to assisting you today with your question and providing the best answer possible.

go to tools / accounts

delete the account that is giving you problems

then add it back in

Remember, if for any reason you are unsatisfied with my answer, we can continue the conversation until you’re satisfied and Accept my answer. I can address follow up questions at no extra charge and I’m always here to help. Thank you for using JustAnswer!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I've tried that. It didn't work.
Expert:  flopcat98 replied 2 years ago.

what is the part of the account name AFTER THE @ ONLY and is it the same as the other att account that does work.

and can you access that account with the email address and password XXXXX you have going directly through att or yahoo's website ?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The part of the address after the @ is bellsouth.net

It is the same as the account that doesn't work.

I can access the problem account on webmail using the address and password
Expert:  flopcat98 replied 2 years ago.

ok here is a quick guess before i go look up the server settings.

Have you got the outgoing server set to "needs authentification" use same as incoming.?

That will screw you up because if there are messages to send on that account it tries to send them before it tries to read them and if its not set to authenticate you wont be logged in to send.

ATT is pretty weird about their email. There are any one of like 5 servers that should all work but usually only 1 of them does. And which one it is can vary from day to day it seems and they may have any particular account set up to use any particular server. The fact that they have yahoo running half of their email address's doesnt help either.

Strange as it sounds they may have given one of your accounts to yahoo and kept one on their own server even though they have the same domain name.

try using these settings

Email address:XXX@XXXXXX.XXX
Incoming mail server (POP3): pop.att.yahoo.com
Incoming mail server SSL: enabled
Incoming mail port: 995
Outgoing mail server (SMTP): smtp.att.yahoo.com
Outgoing mail server SSL: enabled
Outgoing mail port: 465
Username: your username
Password: your password

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I changed the outgoing server to disable "same as incoming" and inserted the name and password.
Also used your recommended server settings. When I tested the account settings i got a popup asking for name and password. It failed to log onto the server. The error message said that the server failed to accept my login. I've used a variety of server settings including inbound.att.net and outbound.att.net and the old settings mail.bellsouth.net to no avail.

I can send and receive email on my iPad and Kindle. I'm wondering if the problem is Outlook.
Expert:  flopcat98 replied 2 years ago.

Its possible it is outlook. But its pretty rare for it to have problems with only one account that way. what settings is the ipad or kindle using that work ?

and what is the exact error message that you get ? i want to know what server it cant log into so i can see if it is incoming or outgoing.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Error message: log on to incoming mail server (POP3): your email server rejected your login.

iPad server settings: YAHOO! SMPT server

Kindle server settings: mail.bellsouth.net and SMPT.mail.yahoo.com

So wierd.
Expert:  flopcat98 replied 2 years ago.

those should work

try it on ports 110 and 25 with ssl off

or 995 and 465 with ssl ON

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
no joy in either case. SSL off failed immediately. SSL on gave me repeated requests for password XXXXX the incoming server, and would not attempt to log on.
Expert:  flopcat98 replied 2 years ago.

Try this just for fun.

In the acccount that does work

change the user name and password XXXXX the ones for the account that doesnt work. If it works that way than its an outlook problem setting up a new account. If it still doesnt work than att is doing something weird with it.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It asks for a user name and paswsword for the server inbound.att.net. I used that server address earlier, having reveived it from ATT tech support
Expert:  flopcat98 replied 2 years ago.
thats the server that works for the other account but if you change the id and password XXXXX wont work for the second account in the same outlook account ?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
That is correct. And when I changed back to the correct account settings it worked fine.

I wonder if it is OK with you to let this cook overnight. I really have to go now, but would like to pursue it sometime tomorrow afternoon. Can we leave the question open for the time being?
Expert:  flopcat98 replied 2 years ago.
sure thing. just post back tomorow and we can continue.

flopcat98, Consultant
Experience: Consultant 30 years in nyc computer industry working with PC and networks banks brokerage legal etc.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Well, I'm back again. The good news is that I am receiving email using pop.att.yahoo.com. The bad news is that I get an error message when I try to send using smtp.att.yahoo.com. The message reads: Cannot find the e-mail server. Verify server information in your account properties.

As you stated, the problem is not in Outlook. Want to try again?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

EURICA!! I can receive and send mail without the popups! thanks so much for your help. I will accept your answer.