Dustin, Email Specialist
Experience:  Specializing in Thunderbird, Eudora, Outlook, Outlook for Mac, Mac Mail, Windows Live mail, Incredimail and a few others! Also Worked in The US Army as A Network Switching Systems Operator/Controller

How do I fix outlook with this message: activation failed?

Customer Question

Category: Email
Expert:  Dustin replied 4 years ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. I look forward to assisting you today with your question and providing the best answer possible.

What version of outlook are you using..

2000, 2007, 2010, outlook express?

And also, what version of windows do you have on your pc ? Windows xp, vista, windows 7 ?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Outlook 2010

Windows XP

Expert:  Dustin replied 4 years ago.

And have you been using outlook 2010 before and it was working fine and suddenly quit?

Or is this the first time you have tried to install and use outlook 2010 on this specific computer?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
It was still working fine this morning
Expert:  Dustin replied 4 years ago.

lets try to reactivate your outlook.

1. Open Outlook 2010 and click the File tab. This will open Backstage view.
  2. Click on Help that is located on the left.
  3. Look on the right side and click Change Product Key.
  4. Enter the key that was provided to you when you downloaded Office 2010. Verify the activation key is correct. This is a long number and it is very easy to type it in incorrectly.
  5. Check the Activate Automatically box. Restart Office 2010 by closing it and opening it back up.
  6. Once you are back in Office, click on the File tab and click Help. On the right side, it should say Product Activated.

Let me know if you run into any issues during these steps.

You can get back to me on this same question, the same way you have been doing.. Just send me a reply.

Log into, then on the Top right, click on my questions

Then, click the "reply to expert" next to my face..

Remember, if for any reason you are unsatisfied with my answer, we can continue the conversation until you’re satisfied and Accept my answer. I can address follow up questions at no extra charge and I’m always here to help. Thank you for using JustAnswer!
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I am not in possession of the product key - the installation was done by a company in Botswana. I will try and contact them.
Expert:  Dustin replied 4 years ago.
hmmm.. They may have given you a false product key then.
did they install Outlook roughly 60 days ago?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I will get in contact with the company which installed it and let you know - I will be out of town tomorrow so it will be Thursday late or Friday
Expert:  Dustin replied 4 years ago.
Thats absolutely fine.

I work here 7 days a week.. So I will look forward to hearing back from you.

( Not trying to spam message you, but its company policy that I send the last reply of each correspondence.)

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thank you so much - I bought and installed legal software and the problem is sorted out.

Expert:  Dustin replied 4 years ago.
Your welcome.. Im glad to hear you worked out the activation issue..

Im sorry to hear that it indeed turned out to be counterfeit software.. If you need anything again, you know where to find me..

Dustin Sandlin.