Jess M., Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Computer Software Support Specialist for more than 10 years
49766785

How do I setup a charter.net email account in Outlook 2010

Customer Question

How do I setup a charter.net email account in Outlook 2010. I have used pop.charter.net and smtp.charter.net. I can send but I cannot receive. I am using ports 110 and 25. I am using a POP3 account as this is the only account.
Category: Email
Expert:  Jess M. replied 4 years ago.
Hi, welcome to JustAnswer.com. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am happy to assist you today.

When you setup the account, under user name, did you enter your FULL email address?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
yes
Expert:  Jess M. replied 4 years ago.
Are you getting an error message when you send/receive?
Please try to send an email to your own email address then see if it can be received.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
When I run a test the outgoing message fails. I can receive email but I cannot send email. I am still attempting to setup the email account on my Outlook 2010
Expert:  Jess M. replied 4 years ago.
Ok. In that setup screen, click on More Settings then click on Outgoing server. What are the settings there?

In that Outgoing server tab, click to select the option "My Outgoing server requires authentication"

Then click OK. Apply the changes then try the test again.

Keep me posted.
Jess
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Already did that. Here is the error message I get

Send test e-mail message: Your outgoing (SMTP) e-mail server has reported an internal error. If you continue to receive this message, contact your server administrator or Internet service provider (ISP). The server responded: 571 imp09 smtp.charter.net NjYuMjQyLjIxMi4xNDI= You mu

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Sorry, I can receive I cannot send
Expert:  Jess M. replied 4 years ago.
Is your computer now connected to the internet through Charter as an ISP?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
no................I am setting this up for my Mom at my home. Is that all that is wrong? Yell

I cannot believe I have wasted 4 hours on this and that is my problem.
Expert:  Jess M. replied 4 years ago.
Yes. If you are using Outlook to access your charter.net email account, you need to be using Charter ISP since Outlook initiates connection to the charter servers, the one with the POP and SMTP servers are charter's servers. If you are connecting from another ISP, charter will refuse the connection.

Your option then is to use a web browser to access charter emails when you are away from home where charter is the ISP.

If you want to use Outlook, you can add other emails though, like the emails provided by the ISP that you are currently using. Hotmail and Gmail accounts can be used with Outlook also, but not Yahoo if it is a FREE Yahoo account.

I hope you find my answer helpful. If you do, please ACCEPT and leave a positive feedback if you are satisfied. A bonus is always greatly appreciated.

Keep me posted with your results so that I can help you further.

If the problem is NOT solved, please do not leave a negative feedback. Instead, post a REPLY so that we can continue further.

Best regards,
Jess