PCDrMiller
PCDrMiller, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  IT Specialist and Systems Administrator
61194327

How can I find out if my husband has another email address

How can I find out if my husband has another email address that he is using on the computer. We are getting emails from various online sex dating sites which I have confronted him about and he says he hasnt done anything this time and yet although I have continually blocked all of these emails and have written to the various sites asking for our email address to be taken off their mailing list we are still receiving all types and it is getting worse. I have even asked them was our current email address ever registered or was it affiliated with a membership thinking that that might of been how they have been able to get our details but they say it never has been. I always thought that you had to be visiting these sites in order to get "promotional" email from them. They are mostly from women with links asking them to contact them and the links go to sites like City Sex, Hot Local Sex Dates, Discreet Sex Dates & xxxmatch.com. He has lied to me in the past about this type of stuff so cant help being suspicious that he is in fact looking this stuff but using another email address that is linked to his main one. How can I stop these emails from coming?? He says to me you know Im not smart enough to do that and I know that you would see it in History whatever I was looking at (eg. Tempory Internet Files) but something just isnt right. We have young kids and these emails have naked women in some of them which isnt appropriate. PLEASE HELP.......thanking you. Brooke
Category: Email
Expert:  PCDrMiller replied 2 years ago.

PCDrMiller :

Hello, I can try and assist you with this

PCDrMiller :

I would say you should probably give him the benefit of the doubt on this one

PCDrMiller :

Spam is a huge problem with email, in fact over 95% of all emails are spam

PCDrMiller :

Only 5% of email are actual messages that real people sent to each other

PCDrMiller :

I also get messages from the kind of adult sites

PCDrMiller :

Usually they get automatically put in my junk mail and I just ignore them

Customer:

Do you know how I can stop these emails?

PCDrMiller :

local hookups waiting for you, sexy hookups

PCDrMiller :

viagra, all kinds of junk

PCDrMiller :

Who is your email provider? Just the part after the @ symbol please like hotmail.com for example

Customer:

Yes they are all the type that we are getting. It is really frustrating and I dont know how to stop them. Provider is @bigpond.com

PCDrMiller :

This usually happens over time, what happens is your email gets harvested from all the silly forwards that people send, or taken from sites that you register at and eventually falls into the spammers list

PCDrMiller :

It is very difficult to stop them completely other than starting a new email account and being very careful about giving it out

PCDrMiller :

You can block them individually and unsubscribe if they provide these links

PCDrMiller :

It can take several weeks to get off the list and sometimes you just can't get them to stop

PCDrMiller :

If you use outlook or other email programs you can create filters to automatically delete them

PCDrMiller :

Here is some information about it.
https://bigpond.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5667

PCDrMiller :

Here is a way to report and complain about it.

Customer:

I do block them all and unsubscribe but they are still coming and have been for about 6 months now. So just in case is there any way I can find out if my husband does have another email address?? When I did a couple of searches they are all for american states not australia but one did bring him up showing his facebook picture but beside it was his name and then another name in the same line but when I looked for that it didnt show. His name isXXXXX but the link showed Daryl Trease, Collin GorXXXXX XXXXX?

Customer:

Thanks for the links...

PCDrMiller :

And here is some filter info.

PCDrMiller :

Are you using windows?

PCDrMiller :

And internet explorer?

Customer:

yes & yes

PCDrMiller :

What version of windows?

PCDrMiller :

XP, Vista, Windows 7?

Customer:

how can i find that? the latest i guess

Customer:

sorry i get you - XP

Customer:

no its vista

PCDrMiller :

Is your husband very good with computers?

PCDrMiller :

The thing is, if he was using a different email address to access dating sites, it doesn't make sense that you would be getting the "promotional" emails at your regular address

PCDrMiller :

I think it is more likely that he was looking at porn

Customer:

he knows enough i guess but doesnt work with them or anything. for eg he knows that i would go into the history or check temp internet files to see what has been happening. He knows how to delete his history. Yes I agree but wouldnt that show up in the temp internet files??

PCDrMiller :

The longer you have an email address, it is bound to get harvested and then you start getting junk

Customer:

If he was looking at porn would these dating sites then be able to get his details from him entering these sites because they "share" information

PCDrMiller :

It is getting pretty crazy the way the internet is starting to work, your information can be stolen even without giving it through temporary files on your computer and cookies

PCDrMiller :

They are targetting advertisements and collecting information about website people visit

PCDrMiller :

Here is the folder for temporary internet files

PCDrMiller :

C:\Users\Owner\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Internet Files

PCDrMiller :

where owner is the name of your profile on the computer

Customer:

ok and thanks so more than llikely he is still visiting the porn sites seeing i keep deleting all the cookies etc in our tempory internet files and doing all that stuff.

PCDrMiller :

You can go one step further, inside the temporary internet files folder should be a hidden folder called content.ie5

PCDrMiller :

This can still contain some info after you delete history

PCDrMiller :

C:\Users\Owner\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5

PCDrMiller :

You have to type it into the address bar, because you won't see the folder

PCDrMiller :

He may not even be doing that anymore...the spammers have your address already

PCDrMiller :

Getting them to stop is very difficult

PCDrMiller :

You can try blocking, filtering and reporting using those links I provided.

PCDrMiller :

And talk to your husband, he should tell you the truth

Customer:

thanks heaps for all your help......will try everything you suggest. As for the husband well we have had issues with this in the past so despite him telling me he isnt lying cant help being suspicious. Cheers XXXXX XXXXX a great weekend!!!

PCDrMiller :

You too. Thank you

PCDrMiller, Computer Support Specialist
Experience: IT Specialist and Systems Administrator