Dustin, Email Specialist
Experience:  I have Pop3, Imap, and Mobile Email experience to share.
19897260

Outlook keeps generating a pop-up "Enter Network Password".

Customer Question

Outlook keeps generating a pop-up "Enter Network Password". How do I stop this?
Category: Email
Expert:  Nick H. replied 2 years ago.
Hi and welcome to JustAnswer.com.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will assist you with your issues.

When did this issue occur? Are you be able to send and receive emails on outlook?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
This has been going for months. Outlook 2007 is fully functional except for this annoying window that keeps popping up.
Expert:  Nick H. replied 2 years ago.
Please try to run Outlook in safe mode:

1. Click Start, and then click Run.
  2. In the Open box, type outlook.exe /safe, and then click OK.
Does it give you the same pop up?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I already did that. Please read my original post and Microsoft Article ID: 290684 which list the steps that I have performed. Thanks

Expert:  Nick H. replied 2 years ago.
Please go to Start ->run and type this in and press Enter

%userprofile%\Local settings\application data\Microsoft\Protect

make sure outlook is closed.

Then rename the fold. add old to the end of it.

Now open outlook and enter your password XXXXX make sure to check Remember password. Then see if it will pop up again.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I typed this exactly as written and also copied and pasted the command line as written. I keep getting: "Windows cannot find 'C:\Documents'. Make sure you typed the name correctly, and try again". What do you suggest?
Expert:  Nick H. replied 2 years ago.
How about this? go to My Computer, C drive->documents and settings->your name->local settings->application data->microsoft->protect.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I looked in the path that you listed. The names I used was "owner" and "administrator" but the last item "protect" was not listed under "microsoft" for either name. The registry does list the "Protected Storage System Provider" and the SAM key.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
There is no "protect" listed in the path that you specified - either in "owner" or "administrator.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I am leaving the office for today and will be back tomorrow morning. My background in regards XXXXX XXXXX is that most all problems I am able solve by myself. I have programmed in Fortran, PL1 and SMC Basic and have worked with Unix. I have read "Mastering the Windows Registry" and have kept up as much as possible with the new technologies. The only time you would hear from me, which is very rare, is when there is a difficult problem that takes a senior tech to figure out. If you are unfamiliar with this problem, please find someone who has experience with Outlook 2007. Thanks for the help. Have a great day!
Expert:  Nick H. replied 2 years ago.
Let me opt out and reopen this question to all experts.
Expert:  Bernie replied 2 years ago.
Hello, which email do you have loaded in Outlook (@Gmail, @Yahoo, @Hotmail, etc)?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
@yahoo, @sbcglobal.net
Expert:  Bernie replied 2 years ago.
Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX apologize for the delay I was offline earlier this morning.

As a test, click here: mail.yahoo.com

Try to login to your Yahoo account online directly and see if it will let you into your mail.

Let me know the results of that and we will take further steps from there
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes, I can sign in. I usually first go through the mail so as to mark things as spam before starting Outlook 2007and downloading them.
Expert:  Bernie replied 2 years ago.
Lets try this:

Click HERE > Sign in with your current password > It will bring you to a page where you can change your password, please do so, and press save after you're done > Restart the computer > Go back into Outlook and when it asks you for the network password, enter this new password XXXXX press ok, then see if it stops prompting you for the password

(You may need to go ahead and change your sbcglobal.net password XXXXX it keeps asking you for that one too, you should be able to use the same link and sign into the sbcglobal account online to change it's password XXXXX then restart the computer again, and try entering this password XXXXX pressing ok when Outlook asks, and see if it stops then).
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I signed into yahoo e-mail and went to profiles, settings, account info. I was taken to my office phone website where I changed the password. For some reason, the e-mail passwords didn't change, only the password XXXXX the att small business website account. I have looked through Yahoo help which indicates that is the way the password XXXXX to be changed. Do you have a suggestion for this?

Expert:  Bernie replied 2 years ago.
I apologize but for now I need to opt out and open your question to all experts again.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks.
Expert:  Dustin replied 2 years ago.
Welcome to JustAnswer.com

My name isXXXXX will assist you with your email issues today!

You mentioned two email accounts.

@yahoo, @sbcglobal.net

Are both of those email accounts inside of outlook, are they both still active and working email accounts?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes, they are active and are set up in Outlook's account settings. Outlook 2007 can download e-mails from both and send from both without any problem.

Expert:  Dustin replied 2 years ago.
This question may seem simple, but I need to verify something.

When you created the new profile in outlook, did you then have to setup your email accounst again from scratch?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

No new profile was created from scratch. Should I delete the current profiles and then create new ones to replace them?

Expert:  Dustin replied 2 years ago.
We dont have to delete the current profiles, as they are holding your stored mail and contacts... But I would like to create a brand new outlook profile, and then make sure we tell outlook to use t hat specific profile.

To create a new profile, close outlook,

Go to start, control panel, mail.

Then, create a new mail profile, once created. MAKE sure to check the box to tell outlook to ask what profile to use each time it starts.

Once thats done..

Start outlook, it should ask what profile to use.

Choose the new profile. And then add just one of the email accounts.

Make sure it can send/ recieve mail normally. Then close outlook and open it. Are you getting the network password XXXXX still?

If not, then add the second email account and test again.

let me know what happens, and if you get stuck at any point.. Thanks!

To get back to me..

Come back to Justanswer.com

On the top right, click login. use the same email address you used to ask this question.

Once logged in.

On the top right,, click on my questions. And you will see our question listed there.

Simply click our question, and send me a response!

Or, you can find any of my replies in your email, click on it and it will bring you back to Justanswer.com, and this specific question we are working on together!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The new profile is created, but Outlook did not ask which profile to open. It is sending and receiving normally. However, the .sbcglobal.net disappeared from the e-mail account listing and was replaced by XXXXX@XXXXXX.XXX. In trying to re-establish the XXXXX@XXXXXX.XXX, I keep being asked for a password XXXXX the correct password XXXXX't work. It does work when logging in on IE7. I tried creating it manually but I had the same problem. With only the @yahoo email account, I haven't seen the pop up. That narrows the problem down to the @sbcglobal account.
Expert:  Dustin replied 2 years ago.
Understood... And I agree with your assessment.

Have we tried to log in online to the SBC global account specifically, and change the online password XXXXX it?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I hae to go out for a while. I will get back to you later. Thanks

Expert:  Dustin replied 2 years ago.
Not a problem, I am going off shift soon.. But I will be back online by 8am tommorow morning.

See you then!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi, I'm back. Unfortunately we won't be able to continue right now because apparently the yahoo server is down. I can't sign in to either account and outlook is not downloading anything. I checked out a couple sites that indicate server status and both confirmed that yahoo is down. When it is back, I will let you know. Have a great day! George
Expert:  Dustin replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for the Update George..

( if the servers aren't working by 430 pm, I will be off work at that time, so we can try tommorow)
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I'm back up. I called AT&T and verified the pop and smtp settings. They were correct. I tried hooking the computer directly to the modem but that didn't help. In order to change the password, I will have to contact AT&T because there is no way to do it online. It is strange that the test email works with the first profile but not the second, even though the POP, and other settings are identical. After clicking "Test Account Settings", it successfully logs onto the POP server but at the second step of sending the test email, I get the message: "Send test e-mail message: The connection to the server was interrupted. If this problem continues, contact your server administrator or Internet service provider (ISP)." Do you think changing the password XXXXX correct this?

Expert:  Dustin replied 2 years ago.
Changing the password "could" correct this...

I think id like to cover another possibility also.. Do you have the Office or Outlook 2007 install disk?

If so. Id like to uninstall office / outlook.

Restart the computer and then reinstall.. This isnt a guranteed fix, but its definitely a step we should cover.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Sorry I didn't get in touch yesterday - your site was down. I wasn't able to change the password XXXXX re-install Outlook because I had some deadlines to meet and couldn't spend the time with this problem. For some reason, the enter network password XXXXX is not appearing anymore even though I did not make any changes. I would like to run outlook the rest of today and part of tomorrow to see if the problem doesn't arise again. If not, I will accept the answer. If so, I will implement your suggestions and get back to you. Thanks and have a great day!

George

Expert:  Dustin replied 2 years ago.
Yes, we were having a multitude of site issues yesterday.. Everything seems to be back to normal now.

Take whatever time you need, and get back to me when you can.. If you encounter any new error messages, or error conditions, Please let me know so I can continue to assist you.

Dustin, Email Specialist
Experience: I have Pop3, Imap, and Mobile Email experience to share.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Sorry, I forgot to accept the answer Friday. Everything is working fine so I am accepting the answer right NOW! Thanks for the help and have a great day!
Expert:  Dustin replied 2 years ago.
Your very welcome.. Thank you for coming back and updating me. And thank you for the tip, and the positive feedback!

Im happy to hear all is working well.. If you need anything further, please let me know.