Bernie
Bernie, Email Technician
Experience:  6+ years experience, Microsoft MCDST/CompTia A+ Certified
46068869

tools menu missing in my outlook 2010

Customer Question

tools menu missing in my outlook 2010
Category: Email
Expert:  Bernie replied 5 years ago.
Hello, and thanks for asking your question. My name is Bernie and I will be your expert today.

The tools menu has been replaced in Outlook 2010, but everything is still there (just in a different spot), were you just trying to change your email account settings?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I am attemptimg to get "Backup" to show up in the 'File' menu so I can backup my outlook files. I was directed to the 'tools' menu but it is missing.
Expert:  Bernie replied 5 years ago.
Ah I see, this is the backup - addon that worked very well in 2007 and 2003. It will in 2010, but it will not let you do this by default without a patch. By default it hides this, but you can get it to show with a patch:

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here

To fix this:

If you haven't already installed the backup add-on, click HERE to do so.

Then, go to this link, and download and run the Fixit file on that page, (scroll down to see the Fixit button), click HERE

Thanks,
Bernie
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The backup did not work. I checked the backup folder but the bzckup.pst was not created. Zlso, the 'Tools' menu is still missing.
Expert:  Bernie replied 5 years ago.
Please understand there is no tools menu in Outlook 2010, they have done away with that now because all of the major menus are inside the File tab in Outlook 2010, including your account settings and adding/removing email accounts, which used to be under tools.

Did you install the backup add-on, then install the patch I gave you (The fixit tool):

After opening the Fixit tool, you should have some prompts to install it, similar to what is shown below:

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here

Please let me know, thank you.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I downloaded and installed/ran the software MicrosoftFixit50545. Then clicked your link and requested fix and finally clicked 'Backup' on the addins. I reviewed 'the 'options' on the backup drop down to find the backup location, exited Outlook waited a couple of minutes and viewed the the indicated backup directory. It was empty.
Expert:  Bernie replied 5 years ago.
Please click the Addins tab, you should see the backup option in there now:

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here

If that still doesn't show up, you will need to use a free program called MailBrowserBackup, please click HERE
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

the backup option was/is there. I tried it but it didn't work/do backup. I will get & try the sugggested 'Mailbrowserbackup'. I have a teachers conference so I won;'t be able to do this until later or some time tomorrow. I will advise of the out come as soon as I can give it a try.

Thanks,

Expert:  Bernie replied 5 years ago.
No problem, you can post back anytime, keep me updated.

To make sure you can return to me, please favorite or bookmark this page, or use this web address (write it down): http://is.gd/KBpoe6

Thanks,
Bernie