Bernie, Email Technician
Experience:  6+ years experience, Microsoft MCDST/CompTia A+ Certified

This error message keeps popping up when I open up Outlook:

Customer Question

This error message keeps popping up when I open up Outlook: Username and password XXXXX not match. You [email protected] Please enter your full email address including How do I get rid of this message.
Category: Email
Expert:  Bernie replied 4 years ago.
Hello, and thanks for asking your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be your expert today.

Which version of Outlook are you using (Outlook 2007 for example)?

As a test, click here:

Try to login to your Gmail account online directly and see if it will let you into your mail. Let me know the results of that.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Using Outlook (Office) 2010.

I am able to sign into my gmail account.
Expert:  Bernie replied 4 years ago.
Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX link:

Is pop enabled there?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Yes, POP is enabled.
Expert:  Bernie replied 4 years ago.
Inside Outlook 2010 click the File tab > Info > Click the Account Settings button, then click on the Account Settings drop down

It will bring you to a separate window with your email address, click the change button right above it. Please make sure you are using these settings:

Your name: Enter your name
Email address: Enter your full Gmail email address
Acount type: POP3
Incoming mail server:
Outgoing mail server (SMTP):
User Name: Enter your full Gmail email address
Password: Enter your Gmail password

Check remember password

Make sure Log on using Secure Password XXXXX (SPA) is checked

Then, Click More Settings... and then click the Outgoing Server tab.

Check the box next to My outgoing server (SMTP) requires authentication and select Use same settings as my incoming mail server.

Click the Advanced tab, and check the box next to This server requires an encrypted connection (SSL) under Incoming Server (POP3). If needed, enter 995 in Incoming Server (POP3) box.

In the Outgoing Server (SMTP) box, and enter 587 and select TLS from the drop-down menu next to Use the Following Type of encrypted connection.

Then press ok, then Test account settings. Does it say everything was successful?

Once it is, click close, next, and finish to get back to Outlook.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
the incoming mail server is an IMAP server. I am not able to change that to POP3 for some reason. The gmail settings on my other computers have the IMAP seeing, not the POP3 and they do not generate the error message.

Should I delete my gmail account completely and re-enter the gmail settings?
Expert:  Bernie replied 4 years ago.
Sorry for the delay, no problem, please use these settings instead (Click below to view):

Let me know if that clears it up, if not, we will try some other steps
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Bernie K....still having the same problem. I just returned from lunch and the error message is there again.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I followed all of the steps you gave me, which honestly were in place. So, have you really faced this problem in the past? Do you have a solution?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
the test of my gmail email is OK. My emails are going out and coming in OK. The problem is the irritating error message that WILL NOT go away. How do I get that to STOP.
Expert:  Bernie replied 4 years ago.
I apologize but for now I need to opt out and open your question to all experts again.