Frederick S
Frederick S, Computer Specialist
Experience:  Computer technician; founder of a home PC repair company.
33925084

My hotmail account is sending out spam emails without my knowledge.

My hotmail account is sending out spam emails without my knowledge. How do I stop it?
Category: Email
Expert:  Frederick S replied 5 years ago.

Hello and thanks for using JustAnswer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be happy to assist you with this.

These types of scams/spamming e-mails are becoming extremely common these days. E-mail addresses are being taken over/accessed by two main ways: (1) by users unknowingly having their password XXXXX from a fake login page or from web sites that users have signed up on with a password XXXXX their e-mail password; and (2) weak passwords that are easily guessed by computers constantly trying to gain access to an e-mail account. Accounts are also compromised if the user responds to any emails requesting personal details like the account password, answer to security questions, etc.

Spammers are desperate for 'fresh' accounts like yours because the chance that it will get flagged as 'spam' (at first) is very low, versus most spam that never makes it to a user's inbox.

Here is what you need to do right away: Please change your password XXXXX away to avoid having this occur in the future. If you need assistance with changing your password, please Reply and let me know.

Once you change your password, the spammer who is accessing your account from a different location will no longer have access to it and you will be fine.
However, please use a different password XXXXX now on for your e-mail versus any other web site, and use at least one uppercase letter, one lowercase letter, and a number, like Spectacular10, or Amazing1900. Avoid first/last names, pet names, DOB, anniversaries, etc. Those are much too common.

You may also wish to perform a malware scan with this free program:

http://ow.ly/6fNiP

Just click "Download file" on that page. Once downloaded, install it, decline the ‘trial’ (so that you don’t have to ever pay anything) then run the Quick Scan and remove any items it finds.

Thank you

FS