jnayes, Computer Support
Experience:  Network Administrator

I uninstalled Google Chrome and Thunderbird will not go to

I uninstalled Google Chrome and Thunderbird will not go to Internet from email. I reinstalled Chrome and Thunderbird still does not work. When I select an address to the Internet from an email I get a blinking hour-glass at mouse hand and my computer will not work. Any ideas?
Category: Email
Expert:  jnayes replied 4 years ago.

Is this Windows XP, Vista, or 7?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Win XP
Expert:  jnayes replied 4 years ago.

Please read: Remember to return and click the Accept button ONLY once your issue is resolved. If the first answer does not work, just REPLY to me and we will continue.

This is a long time issue with Chrome, usually installing it again resolves it outright.

I've created a registry file for you that should resolve it. Close Thunderbird.

Download the file, double click it (or right click and click Merge). At the prompt, choose Yes.

This should re-write the proper entires that open HTML documents from email. Test it after with Thunderbird.

If it does not, please REPLY and let me know and I'll try to guide you through it manually.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I tried the fix, however it did not work and when I tested an email to the Internet and the blinking mouse showed up and my system stop working.

Expert:  jnayes replied 4 years ago.
Alright, try this next.

Go to start, run.

Type inetcpl.cpl and hit enter.

CLick Programs tab at the top right of the window that opens.

Click Make Default

Then try a link again, I'll be standing by
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Did not work. When I select an address in an email to go to the Internet I get the hourglass and everthing stops working and I have to reboot computer and go to access last session in order to get back here.
Expert:  jnayes replied 4 years ago.

Install firefox.

When prompted during the install to make it your default browser, choose YES. Close and reopen Thunderbird, test a link again. Trying to figure out if Internet Explorer is the culprit, then address it accordingly.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
What about downloading and re-installing Thunderbird first>
Expert:  jnayes replied 4 years ago.
I wouldn't recommend it, I don't want to risk losing your email (which can happen if you have a corrupt profile).

That's a last resort option.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Okay this will take awhile.
Expert:  jnayes replied 4 years ago.
Firefox is small, shouldn't take more than a few minutes.

I'll be here though
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Should I do the test with IE open?
Expert:  jnayes replied 4 years ago.
It doesn't matter.

Firefox will open in its own method. Its just important that you choose to make Firefox the Default Brower when it asks.

This is what Thunderbird will look for when clicking a link
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Did not work.
Expert:  jnayes replied 4 years ago.
And this all started after uninstalling chrome.

How long ago did this begin?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Yesterday, after I uninstalled several programs including Chrome. Are there programs required to run Thunderbird properly? Can you list them to see if I uninstalled something other than Chrome?
Expert:  jnayes replied 4 years ago.
Let's try a system restore then.

Any of the components you uninstalled could have had an adverse effect.

To do this, go to start > all programs > accessories > system tools > system restore.

Choose a restore PRIOR to when this all occurred, and then continue. Your system will restart.

To get back to me simply go to and click my questions.

Or you can bookmark/favorite this page (ctrl + d)
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Did not work, I tried the 31st, 1st, 2nd, and 3rd. No luck.
Expert:  jnayes replied 4 years ago.
Let's do a quick virus scan, just to be sure, something is off here and I doubt it had anything to do with Chrome.

Download this program:

Install it. Do a system scan, at the end click Show Results. Click Remove selected. I need to know if it finds an infection.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Found 1 virus (BadJoke.KillFiles). Now what?

Expert:  jnayes replied 4 years ago.
Cleaned then I'd assume.

Do this next:

Guide I created. Completely reversible. The goal here would be to root out conflicting programs that are causing the freeze up.

Restart once finished (and as I stated, you can go back through and enable whatever you want this does NOT delete anything). None of the items need to be enabled on start on most machines anyway.

After the restart, try TB once more on links.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
This did not work. I lost the ability to get back on to the Internet.I hade to activate everything in 'Services" and 'Startup' in order to get the Internet to work. The 'System Restore' did not help, I could not go back far enough to restore before I did what you suggested.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Are you there?
Expert:  jnayes replied 4 years ago.
Sorry for the delay, was eating dinner.

The msconfig knocking out net access is generally due to a third party wireless manager.

I suppose we're on to the last resort.

Which would be uninstalling thunderbird. Then downloading the newest version and reinstall it from here:

I'll also likely be signing off for the night but will be available tomorrow.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I found an answer, it was in the tools-options-attachmants, for HTTP/HTTPS callout for correct input. Had 'use Thunderbird' changed to 'use Firefox (default). Seems to be working now.
Thanks for your help.