Aric, Technician
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company
24739752

Well i have a "Sony SLVD370P DVD/VCR - i am tryin to copy

Customer Question

well i have a
"Sony SLVD370P DVD/VCR - i am tryin to copy movies from hdmi - but it is not recordering
JA: What's the exact make and model of your television? And have you done any troubleshooting yourself?
Customer: yes i have
JA: How long has this been going on? What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: tv is a samsung model /verion number isxd07
JA: Anything else you want the electronics expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Category: Consumer Electronics
Expert:  Aric replied 2 months ago.

Hello, My name is ***** ***** I'll be assisting you. I'm reviewing your details and will reply shortly.

Expert:  Aric replied 2 months ago.

The Sony (or any other recorder for that matter) does not and cannot record from HDMI. HDMI is copyright protected by it's very nature and unable to be recorded from. The HDMI out is to send the AV signal TO the TV- nothing more. The protocol for recording on the Sony is to plug a device (it does not record directly from the TV- only an external source- like a cable box), into the Red, White and Yellow "Audio/Video Inputs" on the recorder- which are the ports designed for an incoming signal. The recorder then records from those ports. So a cable box for example would be plugged into the RWY "Audio/Video Input" ports and that is what the Sony will record from.

Note: ALL HDMI signals are encrypted with "HDCP" (high definition copyright protection) and as the name implies- does not allow for recording due to the copyright protection built into the digital HDMI signal.

Expert:  Aric replied 2 months ago.

If you need further help in recording to the Sony- then look at the back of your cable or satellite box for jacks which are "Red White and Yellow" and connect those to the AV Inputs on the Sony. Then use the HDMI output on the Sony to display the signal onto the TV.

Expert:  Aric replied 2 months ago.

Or if you have any other questions regarding this, then simply post back on this page. Also note- the full model number off of the back of the TV as well as the model number of the cable box would be needed to provide any more specifics.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
i have a amazon firestick
Expert:  Aric replied 2 months ago.

You will not be able to record from the Amazon Firestick as it is an HDMI only device.

Expert:  Aric replied 2 months ago.

The only way around this is to use an HDMI to composite converter, which actually steps the video signal down to basic standard definition. Then you can use those jacks to Input the Sony recorder. If you would like a link to that device- let me know.

Expert:  Aric replied 2 months ago.

The Radio Shack converter at the link below allows for this:

https://www.radioshack.com/products/radioshack-hdmi-to-composite-converter

Expert:  Aric replied 2 months ago.

There is also a more robust unit at Amazon (below) for just a bit more money:

https://www.amazon.com/ViewHD-Composite-Converter-Include-Adapter/dp/B00LK95VNQ

Expert:  Aric replied 2 months ago.

So the connection procedure would be- Amazon Firestick-----> Into HDMI Input on converter----> RCA red,white,yellow jacks on converter-----> To Red, White and Yellow "Audio/Video Inputs" on the Sony recorder.

Expert:  Aric replied 2 months ago.

Let me know if you need further assistance. Also, before you go, could you please click a POSITIVE RATING (by scrolling all of the way to the top of the page, and clicking 3-5 stars), so that I am credited for working with you today?