John, Engineer and electronic enthusiast for more than 12 years.
Experience:  I am here to help you!
23822421

Do you know anything about Genie Silent Max 1000 garage door

Customer Question

Do you know anything about Genie Silent Max 1000 garage door openers?
JA: What's the make/model of your device? How old is it?
Customer: Genie Silent Max 1000 Revolution series and about 3 years old
JA: How long has this been going on? What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: It jut happened today. When I came home and closed the door, it seems to slam down, which surprised me. When I just went to open it, it only opened about 3 inches and there is a red light blinking on the main consol.
JA: Anything else you want the electronics expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: I've tried releasing the cord and opening myself, but I'm not strong enough I guess. I can't get it open. I am open to working on it if I know what to do. I HAVE to have it work so I can go to work tomorrow. Obviously I am single 68 year old but pretty strong. (female)
Category: Consumer Electronics
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Russell H. replied 2 months ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

It sounds as if the door may have slammed shut owing to an insensitive door-closed sensor.

That might have (at worst, but by the sound of it) damaged the door a trifle. It might indeed be hard to get it open for tomorrow's work.

Now, when you crank it open by hand, how far open does it get, from a closed position, before the door stops cranking and resists further opening (do not force it... that could damage it worse. Perhaps... let's be cautious for now...) ?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I don't know what you mean by "crank by hand". There's nothing to crank. I can't lift it. I should be able to because I'm not weak but I can't get it open any further. When it closes, it closes nice and smooth now but when it opens, it opens about 3 inches and a red light is blinking on the consol.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
It didn't slam like it was dropped from a great distance. Just kind of like if you were doing it by hand and pushed it down to hard.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
When it closes now, it closes nice and smooth like it's supposed to (from 3 inches anyway!)

There is always a crank to crank up a garage door by hand.

Don't try lifting it yourself!

Look for a crank on the opener, perhaps.

Or, on either side of the door, where it goes in its track along the wall.

Try cranking open the door. If it doesn't 'bind' or resist distinctly at any point, and you get it open, then all's well enough for your getting to work tomorrow... let me know how it goes.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I will go out and look but I've never seen anything like that on the door. BRB

Look carefully. Getting to work tomorrow depends on it.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
There is no crank anywhere.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I can see wires wound up on either side of the door but they don't attach to a crank.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
There is a release on the track that would let you open the door manually but no crank.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I am desperate. The red light blinks when I put the door in open mode. That must tell me something.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
A red light on the console.

Which light is red, and blinking, on your opener, please?

Release the door, and then try to pull it open manually. That might work... but don't force it.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
The light to the right (if you are looking at the opener from the front) of the square and two triangle shaped buttons. I will try releasing it. I did let my friend borrow my car right before I used it the last time but I don't think she hit anything. CRAP. I hope not. BRB will try to open it.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
When I try to open it, it seems to be catching on this white roll of stuff about 4 inches long that looks from the ground like Styrofoam packing stuff only cylindrical.

That might be padding that got into the track.

Is there any such padding anywhere else along the track that the door rides on/in ?

If not, it's non-essential, it's good that you spotted it, and remove it - without tearing it, though - and see if that helps.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
In a U Tube Video this is one of the comments after a video showing my problem.
The belt bullet (white plastic catch) is wedged between the rail and a shield where the belt pulley is located. I am going to have to let the tension off of the belt before I can dislodge the belt bullet. The belt tension prevents me from being able dislodge the bulletI don't have any problem with tension. It seems like the belt has plenty of play in it.

Move the belt into the best position to remove it, then pull it out, is my advice. But you can follow the YouTube vid. if you wish to.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
The white thing is supposed to be there. It is on the end of the belt and feels like it is supposed to go inside the mechanisim at the end of the track. I can put my fingers into where I think it is supposed to go but I'm not going to try to stuff in there while the door is trying to open.

Then don't! sounds unsafe to your fingers.

Perhaps you need to call Sears Home Services, their garage door opener division. ?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I guess I will call my boss and tell him I will be late.....at best.

It sounds as if I cannot help you further... I regret that.

Would you like to ask me about anything else about this problem?

OR would you prefer to have a chance at another Expert's opinion, at no extra charge?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I don't think anyone is going to be able to help me. As far as the charge. How much is it? I can't even get the thing to lift past about 4 inches with the pull handle disengaged. It should be easy to open . I am at a loss.

I don't think you'll be charged if no-one here can help you.

As for Sears Home Services... ask them about their charges, and describe your problem.

(I don't know your region... or I'd cite their phone #.)

I have Opted Out, in case another Expert here can help better than I did.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I don't need 24 hours. I need NOW