Pete, Electronic Engineer
Experience:  Over 16 years of experience installing and repairing electronics.
30970729

My model DMR-XW350 DVD has just recently stopped allowing me

My model DMR-XW350 DVD has just recently stopped allowing me to record 2 programmes at the same time, & also, although the subtitle button on the dvd remote works ok when watching tv thru the dvd, it doesn't work when watching the record show???l
JA: What's the make and model of your television? And is the remote the same, universal, or for another device?
Customer: The tv is a LG model 42LH5, but I've had none of these problems using same tv & dvd for over 5 years?
JA: How long has this been going on? What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: only in the last few weeks, but I'm not very savvy with this tech., so nothing really, but I have noticed now that before pressing ok to record, it only shows HG mode, where I'm sure it used to show HR & maybe another indicator?
JA: Anything else you want the electronics expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: not that I can think of

Hi, I'm Pete. Welcome to JustAnswer! I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply ASAP.

To record 2 programs at the same time requires two input signals to the dual tuners built into the DMR-XW350.

Test your input signal strength using the menu and let me know what the results are.

If the input signal is good, then one of the built-in tuners may have failed inside the unit.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I'm not very savvy with these things, but I managed to work my way thru to "DVD Signal Condition" & it showed that the Signal Quality had a green line fully up to 10, but the Signal Strength green line only up to about 7 to 8? Is this a possible problem, & can it be fixed.
Also, what about the other problem of the subtitle button not functioning, ONLY when playing back a recorded show???

If the signal strength is bad then that could be the cause of the problem. Have you checked the antenna to ensure it is still positioned correctly and has not shifted?

The subtitle problem may be software related. If a power cycle of the box does not resolve it then you would need to reset the box which will erase any recordings on it.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Antenna seems to be as normal so where do we go to now?
Re the subtitle thing, is "a power cycle of the box, (what "box"?), something I can initiate, and/or how do I reset the "Box"?
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Any clues on my latest reply Pete? (re antenna seems as normal & resetting the "BOX" for subtitles?).

The box is the DMR-XW350.

Yes, you can initiate this by turning the box off at the wall.

Wait 2 minutes, then restart the DMR-XW350 box again.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Hi Pete,....re the subtitle problem,...I turned off the box, (& tv), at the wall for 3/4 mins., but it hasn't solved anything, but I did notice that the 3 shows I had recorded weren't wiped either, should they have been?
Any more clues why I can't record 2 shows at same time, or is it time for me to scrap the box for a new one, (or Blue-Ray Recorder?)?....I have noticed at about the same time these 2 problems occurred, every time I turn the TV then the DVD on, I get the message on screen that there are new channels to be added, but each time I try to add, it always comes back, (after scanning from 6 to 69 for 2/3mins.?), saying no new channels found????....the DVD is 7 years old.

No, the shows will not be wiped unless you do a complete reset of the box using the Factory Reset option in the menu.

If turning the box off for a few minutes did not help, then the next step will be to reset it using the Factory Reset option in the menu.

Did my answer work? Is there anything else I can help you with?

--------------------
Your satisfaction is my priority;
Kindly take a moment to rate my service 5 stars and press submit at the top of your question page so I am rewarded for my time; tips appreciated :)
You can always reply back at any time if you need any further assistance at all.
Pete.
--------------------

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Sorry Pete, you will have to excuse my ignorance here, but for the life of me I cannot find a "Factory Reset" option,...maybe its under a different name than your terminology,...can you guide me step-by-step on how to get to it please?

On some units, the Factory Reset is also known as "Shipping Condition" -

in the settings menu, go to Others and then select Initialize - Shipping Condition.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
thanks Pete, finally found "shipping condition" & followed all the steps to "reset" & turn units off at the wall, (I waited 2mins approx.), & then reset as instructed, but no change at all, the show I had recorded didn't even disappear?
However, it does appear that the problem of not letting me record 2 shows at the same time has fixed itself, (?)...I thought the above reset was supposed to fix the no subtitle function on a recorded show problem, but I'm still left with that,...any clues?

Did you have to retune the box after resetting it to shipping condition?

If still no change after returning the box to shipping condition then it has some other internal malfunction.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Pete, I did have to retune after resetting the Shipping Condition, (& turning off at the wall & waiting a few mins.as instructed), however the recorded show wasn't wiped but it seem I could now record 2 shows at same time but the subtitle button not functioning on recorded shows?...BUT, the next day, BOTH problems were fixed,....so I'm pleased but confused, so, I don't know if you can explain why, but well done Pete,....but, (and I'm really testing your patience with me here aren't I?),...I still am left with one minor problem,...the time doesn't show on the DVD's digital display, even if I go into menu-other-setup-other-clock, where it highlights Auto Clock Setting "ON". I turned this "OFF", which allowed me to manually set the clock, but I didn;t need to because it clearly showed the right date & time internally displayed, so I reset to Auto Clock Setting ON,...neither shows the time on the digital display,...any clues???

I suspect there may have been a software glitch, and resetting the box to shipping condition has resolved this - it will have received software updates overnight after the reset which seem to have helped. That is good to hear that it worked!

Does the digital display show anything at all where the clock should be?

If it does not, then the display may have failed.

Pete.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Again well done Pete, and yes the digital display does show a very small circular clock dial just to the right of where the time should be, so its operational I would think?

In the menu, when you go to Others, ensure the Automatic Clock Setting is set to On.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
the Auto.Clock Setting is "ON", but still no time displayed, in fact now the little clock dial isn't even displayed, whereas initially I at least had that before?? If I change this to "OFF", it lets me manually set the time if I want to, but it already shows the correct date & time held in the unit, yet it doesn't display, even when changing to "ON">>
Incidently, when going menu-others-setup-others, before going down to CLOCK, at the top it shows AUTO.STANDBY 4hrs, and this can be changed to 6hrs,...what does this mean?

Hmm ok, then I think that given the age of the unit, the display has likely failed.

The Auto Standby means that the unit will automatically turn off and go into standby mode after a set amount of time, e.g. 4 or 6 hours.