Aric, Technician
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company
24739752

My tv picture went blank. I get the power on ok than it goes

Customer Question

my tv picture went blank. I get the power on ok than it goes to standby
JA: What's the make and model of your tv? Have you had any issues with the picture before?
Customer: sony bravia
JA: How long has this been going on? What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: no first time
JA: Anything else you want the electronics expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: I trid with Comcast and no results
Category: Consumer Electronics
Expert:  Aric replied 3 months ago.

Hello, My name is ***** ***** I'll be assisting you. I'm sorry you're having problems. I'm reviewing your details now and will reply shortly.

Expert:  Aric replied 3 months ago.

Offhand, can you get the model number off of the back of the Bravia and tell me how old the TV is roughly (less than or over one year)?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
model nbr is kdl 40v3000
Expert:  Aric replied 3 months ago.

Thanks for the reply. We often see these sets develop faults after a few years, and in most cases it requires replacement of a component (the Power Supply or MainBoard being the most common).

However it's worth it to try a hard reset, as sometimes the processor in the TV can simply have locked up.

The first thing you would try, is disconnect the set from power, then press and hold the power button on the TV itself (not the remote), for 10 seconds and release. Then plug the set back in, and also check that the power cord is connected tight at the TV as well. Press power once, and see if the set powers up normally. Try this procedure up to 2 times, and please let me know what happens.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
no did you get the model nbr
Expert:  Aric replied 3 months ago.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
power came on than to standby
Expert:  Aric replied 3 months ago.

I'm sorry to hear that, and if the issue goes beyond that - then this does indicate a hardware fault in the set, with the power board or Mainboard that requires repairs. There are no settings/adjustments that will cause the TV to shut itself down. The only other attempt at a quick fix, is to leave the set unplugged for several hours in the hopes that it resets. The average cost for this repair is in the $200-$250 range (depending on which board has failed) and if you'd like you can use the link below to locate a shop in your area:

http://www.tvrepairpros.com

Other than that, I'm sorry for the bad news here and wish there were a quick fix.

If you need further assistance let me know. Before you go, PLEASE DO click at least a 3 STAR RATING, at the top of your screen (scroll up the page to get to the STARS). That is how I am credited for my efforts by the site.

Expert:  Aric replied 3 months ago.

Do you need further assistance with this?

Expert:  Aric replied 3 months ago.

I was just following up to see if you needed further help? The site shows that since the question is open that you are still looking for help. Or, if you received the information you were looking for-could you please kindly rate my service POSITIVELY (by clicking a 3-5 star rating by scrolling to the top of the page)? Thanks in advance.