GeekGal
GeekGal, Electronics Support Tech
Experience:  MIS degree and 15+ years experience supporting electronics of all kinds
76665483

I have trouble sending a text response. Goes to ballon, etc.

I have trouble sending a text response. Goes to ballon, etc. how do I send it?
JA: What's the make/model of your device? How old is it?
Customer: Checking. Where in settings do I find the model number? It's a 6, several years old.
JA: How long has this been going on? What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: Especially since 10 went into effect. I've tried things on my own. Tried to get appointment with a genius at a store but can't get thru. Also I can no longer turn my flashlight on. Many things.
JA: Anything else you want the phone expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: Start with texts, flashlight and removing things in running in background.

Hi there! My name is***** am a computer professional with over 15 years of experience with both Mac and Windows computers, software, phones, tablets, e-readers, and printers. It would be my pleasure to assist you with this.

I too have had this problem recently on my Apple iPhone 6plus since the latest updates to the IOS. It's quite annoying. What seems to be happening is this: The latest version of IOS allows you to send to text messages with effects. You can view a detailed explanation of this here:

http://appleinsider.com/articles/16/10/04/how-to-send-messages-on-your-iphone-with-fireworks-balloons-and-other-screen-flair-in-apples-ios-10

The problem (for me at least) is that even when I just want to send a regular message, all too often the screen for the text message effects appears. I have found that I can cancel the Screen Effect by hitting the X button bellow the send button. Usually I am then able to send my message normally, but sometimes it takes several tries.

Theoretically, you access Messaging Effects by using a long press when you are trying to send a message. A regular press will theoretically send the message normally. Notice my use of the word theoretically. Maybe my phone is very sensitive or maybe I just have a heavy touch but there seems to be little difference to me between a REGULAR press and a LONG press.

If this is as annoying for you as it is for me, you can turn the Message Effects off with these steps:

1. Open the “Settings” app and go to “Accessibility” and then to “Reduce Motion”
  2. Turn the Reduce Motion setting to OFF and then exit out of settings

The Reduce Motion setting in iOS, which does away with the zipping and zooming animations that fly around the operating system when opening and closing apps, is also the only way to turn off iMessage effects.

Hopefully, that information will be helpful to you in resolving the messages issue. Regarding the flashlight, From anywhere in iOS 10 (including the main lock screen), swipe up from the bottom of the iPhone to bring up Control Center. You will find the flashlight icon on the bottom left corner of the Control center.

The best way to see all open apps is to double click HOME button until you see multiple screens depicting the apps that are currently running. Slide your finger on each card middle of screen upward up to edge of screen to force close each open app individually.

Here's a link with great information about managing apps that run in the background.

http://www.imore.com/how-to-manage-background-app-refresh-iphone-ipad

Please give this a try and let me know the results. If this resolves your problem, would you mind taking a moment to rate my service? I'd really appreciate it! You can give your rating by selecting the stars located on the top right of the question page and then clicking on submit. If you need more help, please let me know. I am committed to working with you until your problem has been resolved. Your complete satisfaction is my goal! Thank you!

.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I'm still having trouble with my phone. I see your response was regarding android but I have an iPhone. I was able to correct how I was sending texts and yes, I think I was holding the send button too long.
When I enter an appointment into my phone it doesn't take. I tried 4 times this am. When I got home to my iPad all 4 tries are on my iPad calendar. Others that were on my iPhone have disappeared. They used to be compatible.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I thought my original call was until things got fixed.

The answer that I provided to you was not regarding Android. It was tailored for the most recent version of IOS (for iphones and ipads). I would like to point out that I have never received any credit or compensation for the time spent on my detailed responses regarding the messaging issue and the flashlight issue, because you failed to rate my service. Before I invest more time in trying to assist you with the calendar issue, I ask that you please take a moment to rate my service thus far.

Thank you. Please give me just a few minutes to research the appointment issue. Can you check please and make sure that both your phone and your ipad have been updated to the most recent version of IOS?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
10.2.1 on both
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Did you get my answer that both are 10.2.1?

Thank you. That is helpful. I did get your response. I will need to research for a bit in order to best help you.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thx. I'll wait.

Can you check please under settings and iCloud and settings and iTunes to make sure that both are using the same apple id ?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
They are both my email address

Thank you. On your ipad, please tap the calendar APP. at the bottom of the screen you should see TODAY, CALENDARS, and INBOX. Please tap calendars and make a note of all calendars listed that have a check mark beside them. Next, do the same thing on your iphone. If there are calendars on the ipad that aren't checked on the iphone please tap them to select them. After making sure that the settings are the same on both devices, check your calendar on yrou phone again to see if the appointments in question show up.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
It worked!!!! I will give you an excellent rating. Can you handle another problem?

Thank you. I am happy to hear that it worked! I would be delighted to help you with another problem. However, you will need to open a new question as we have addressed all of the issues in the original question. If you would like to make sure that I am the expert that you work with, please feel free to put FOR GEEKGAL in front of the question subject. Have a great evening!