Rusty
Rusty, Customer Service
Experience:  Over 20 years electronics experience. How may I help you today?
63817454

We have a TEC MA-516 Cash Register. The tax needed to be

Customer Question

We have a TEC MA-516 Cash Register. The tax needed to be changed to 7.75 from 8.00 %. However... Before I could come change it. Someone in the store tried... I hate coming behind someone when I don't know really what they did.
JA: What's the make/model of your device? How old is it?
Customer: not sure how old... years... I put the make and model up top... TEC MA-516 The alarm was constantly on I fixed that it finally shows 7.75% But when the total buttons are pressed you get alarm
JA: How long has this been going on? What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: Since Friday
JA: Anything else you want the electronics expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: I can't find any way to print out settings like key codes etc. Is there a way?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Consumer Electronics
Expert:  Rusty replied 1 month ago.

Hello, my name is***** to Justanswer! Give me just a few minutes to look up some specifics, I'm working on this now.

Expert:  Rusty replied 1 month ago.

Do you still need help with this?

*This is not your answer, just an inquiry to see if you still need help. I'm here to help when you're ready.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Expert:  Rusty replied 1 month ago.

Ok, that alarm usually means that the correction wasn't finished. Ugh, I can see you know this already, because you're coming in behind someone who already did it. The trick will be to finish, or to clear it and start over. Is that person in the store now?

Expert:  Rusty replied 1 month ago.

Also, do you have a backup of your programming?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I am the computer tech, I wrote the message. I have the cash register in my office a few steps away
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I don't have a backup, it does not say how
Expert:  Rusty replied 1 month ago.

Ok, give me a few minutes to get the programming manual. Backing up is important, that way if the data gets lost you don't have to start from scratch. It also saves you in these situations where you want to restore, much like a system restore on a computer.

We'll have to find out where they goofed, finish the programming, then the alarm should stop. The problem is, it doesn't happen on the tax key, so that could be in a lot of places. This isn't going to be easy.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I see no way to back it up
Expert:  Rusty replied 1 month ago.

We'll get to that later. Does it beep if the tax key is not used in the transaction?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I typed 100.00, hit the MISC NT key, it printed on the tape, then typed 100.00 and AT/TL and it showed a total on the tape.
Expert:  Rusty replied 1 month ago.

Ok, reprogram the tax rate from scratch. See if you can get it to go away. There was an error somewhere in the programming, and cash registers are very picky when it comes to programming, and using.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I've done that before, but I'll try again. Just in case I'm using the wrong keys... what do I need to do for 7.75%?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Rusty... did you get my question???
Expert:  Rusty replied 1 month ago.

Yes, sorry, I had to step away. Did you actually enter a %?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No... just to make sure I'm correct... please tell me the right keys for 7.75%... I'm in SET already.
Expert:  Rusty replied 1 month ago.

7.75. Did you set the tax during the same day as when it was programmed to 8&? I'm reading that it's a "condition" to block inconsistencies. It wants you to do the daily financial reset, then do the programming, then sign in, and it should work. Is this the order of operations you did?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
but when we hit the buttons for taxable items the alarm comes on. When I do the "test" to have it show the tax... it shows 7.75, the test is with the X setting.
Expert:  Rusty replied 1 month ago.

One thing I missed, and I know this is a silly question, does the C key clear the error?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Expert:  Rusty replied 1 month ago.

But when you go to total it beeps again?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
lol... it would not let me say YES again... answer is yes
Expert:  Rusty replied 1 month ago.

How comfortable are you with doing a master clear and starting over with the programming? I know it's work, but somewhere, the programming for tax got messed up. This tends to happen with most registers when programming tax. I'm not sure why, but that's just what happens. You can do a master clear on page 157 here.

I'm not finding a backup on this register... Sam4S is the replacement for these registers, where they have an SD card slot for backup. That would be too convenient here...

Expert:  Rusty replied 1 month ago.

Before we do that...

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I really don't feel comfortable because some buttons are custom, and I really don't want to loose the tax table information either. Is there any way to print what the values are for the keys, tax tables, etc... ???
Expert:  Rusty replied 1 month ago.

Do the status clear. It's up a couple of pages. This won't hurt your programming, just clear anything that may not have finished. I'll check to see if there's a print feature.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
before I called you, I did a status clear, and the clearing of any transacions
Expert:  Rusty replied 1 month ago.

Ok, ... I'm not seeing a way to print the values either. This is far fetched, but it's worth a shot. Tec seems to have been bought out by Sam4s, but here's the supplies number for TEC:(###) ###-####

Call them, and see if they still have tech support who can blast through this problem. If not, try Sam4s: 1-***-***-****.

Let me know if you have any luck, I'm still looking for the answer. These older registers are like trying to crack a safe sometimes.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Ok... I'll give that a shot. Thanks, ***** ***** was so funky.
Expert:  Rusty replied 1 month ago.

Me too, I wish I could be more help. Let me know if you find anything out. I'll keep thinking about this, hopefully the answer will come to me.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
What is the best way to re-contact you with this conversation?
Expert:  Rusty replied 1 month ago.

Bookmark this page and you can reach me here. I'm going to be leaving the office soon, but like I said, I'll keep thinking about it, and will let you know if I come up with something new.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Done, thank you very much
Expert:  Rusty replied 1 month ago.

You are very welcome. Hopefully you'll get an old schooler at Sam4s who knows the older machines! The first tech will run you through some steps, after that you can ask for "advanced tech support", the nice way of saying "someone who really knows".