Russell H., Service Tech
Experience:  8+ years of professional experience
13568747

I have a D80 that I am trying to switch to & W shooting.

Good Morning, I have a D80 that I am trying to switch to B & W shooting. When I go to my shooting menu and click on optmize image, it says I can not do that with available settings> Help LOL
JA: What's the make/model of your camera? How old is it?
Customer: D80 purchased @15 years ago, when they first came out
JA: What happened right before this popped up? What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: No trouble shooting, not that bright when it comes to this
JA: Anything else you want the camera expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: no

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

I think you may be in the wrong shooting mode, for that setting.

Or, you may have a feature enabled, that makes the B&W mode unavailable.

One way out of this is to try other shooting modes.

Another way to deal with it is, to do a Factory Settings Reset of the camera, so that all its settings are back to the factory-issue defaults.

I am looking up how to do that factory-reset, and will post again within some minutes. (Meanwhile, if you can tell me what shooting mode you are trying and failing to enable B&W mode in, it may help me advise you.)

The factory settings reset on this model, can be done by holding down 2 buttons at the same time for at least 2 seconds continuously.

The two buttons are marked with green dots. The two buttons on this model, are the +/- and the AF button.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Discovered that on the D80, you have to change shooting mode to P on the dial. Go to the menu shooting mode, scrowl down to black and white. Cannot shoot B&W in auto, has to be in P mode and is best to use a tripod as the shutter takes a while to close.

Good. That matches what I said,

you may be in the wrong shooting mode, for that setting.

.....

Please rate my answer and my work on your case. A five-star rating would best express appreciation.

Thanks!