Nathan, Engineer
Experience:  Managing Director at Pollinate Group LLC
59725966

My sister hase a panasonic TV model 0149. My sister hase a

My sister hase a panasonic TV model 0149.
JA: Just to clarify, what's the exact model of your Panasonic? And can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: My sister hase a Panasonic TV model 0149. When I try to put the closed captions on the words come on but the picture becomes small in the top left hand corner of the screen. She has very bad hearing and her sight is not the best but she can read the captions. Can you help me
JA: How long has this been going on? What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: This started a about three weeks ago, I went back to factory reset and reset all the stations but it did not help.
JA: Anything else you want the electronics expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: no

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble, but I'll do my best to help you. Please give me a few moments to review your details here.

Could you recheck that model number for me, please?
It usually is a mix of numbers and letters. Also are you using an aerial, or cable/satellite?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
The model number is *****
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
The TV is connected to an aerial

Thank you for the info,

go into the tv settings menu, then under captions you'll see an option for caption mode, set it to CC1 (not to text) and let me know if that helps.

Thanks,

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Thank you for your email.
I went into the menu but there was no caption mode only the text mode. All that did was to change from list to top, that did not work. The software number is ***** TV was manufactured in 2007.
Is there anything else you can suggest to fix the problem.

Try pressing MENU, then the GREEN button on the remote, does that change it suitably for her?

If not, try menu twice, then the left or right arrow (may have to test both ways)

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Have tried both methods, but still it does not make any difference.
Any more suggestionsPhil

Press the TEXT (teletext) button on the remote first once, then from there try the above steps once more, please.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
When the (cc) closed captions button in pressed the words come up and the picture goes small on the right hand side of the screen,
none of the other button will not operate, they are all locked out until I press the text or cc buttons again.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Still waiting for an answer

I'm in the US on a much different time zone, my apologies for the delay.

Does this happen whether you press CC or text?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Only when you press cc the picture goes small.
When you press text the picture gets large again but no cc.

Okay I'd like to try a factory reset of the tv at this point, as the basic settings that are associated with this are not being applied properly (not your fault, a glitch in the tv most likely).

With the tv powered on,

press and hold the volume down button on the tv, along with the MENU button on the panasonic remote, for about 5 seconds,

it may take a few seconds to reset, may turn off and back on, then you'll have to set the language and time again, retune, etc.

Let me know the results.

Thanks,

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Hi Nathan,
Sorry for the delay in getting back to you, I have to go to the TV set each time which is not close.I am wondering if we are talking about the same program because some of the what you are asking me to do does not work on this Australian TV. In Is there anything else you can offer or would it be best to just refund me the $34.00 I paid?Thank you for your help.
Phil
Customer: replied 3 months ago.

Hi Phil,

I know exactly which tv you are referring to, and the reset process will reset the tv if applied properly.

Were you able to get anywhere with that process?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Hi Nathan,
I have tried many times to reset the TV to factory reset, the way you said, but that does not work on this TV.
HAVE YOU ANY MORE IDEAS
I did get the Closed Captions (CC) up on a full picture but then most of the buttons on the remote control don't work.
You cannot change the channel while the CC is on. We have to turn the CC off to change the channel, then turn the CC on again.
My sister is 96 years old and is unable to remember what to do, so everything must be as simple as possible.
What is needed for the CC to be on all the time and be able to change channels.
Regards Phil

Everything at this point still sounds like a hardware issue that it is not operating properly,

if the reset isn't working, options are limited.

Other than replacing the tv, your next best option would be to hook up an external tuner instead. You can pick one up for $50 or less at dick smith, harvey norman, etc. Example: https://www.jbhifi.com.au/tv-home-entertainment/players-recorders/teac/teac-hdb850-hd-set-top-box/87484/

Best regards, ***** ***** for the news,

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Seeing you are unable to be able to have any other ideas , can you organise to get the $34.00 I paid returned to me.
I do not want to be charged $34.00 each month for something I do not require.
Thank you
Phil

You aren't obligated to any future subscription.

Unfortunately in cases such as this I'm limited to diagnosing and explaining the problem and giving you practical advise for how to proceed. Ie: a new tuner at a fraction of the cost of a new tv.

We've done all the troubleshooting possible and a hardware failure within the tv (as it is not responsive to the specific reset process for this model) is outside of anyone's control.

Please note:

I am an independent technician and I've spent my personal time, unpaid, in an effort to assist with the question for which you solicited my services. This site works on the honor system, and to that end, I have prioritized working with you ahead of other paying customers.

Although you’ve already paid your fee to the site, I am only compensated for my efforts when customers such as yourself leave positive feedback for my work. I apologize this is not the outcome you had hoped for, though this is really beyond either of our control. I do hope you’ll consider leaving a 5 star rating for me, rather than “shoot the messenger”, so that I may get credit for my time spent in good faith to answer your question accurately. Rating 1 or 2, or not rating at all, does not produce a refund, it only penalizes me for trying to help.

Asking for a refund at this point has the effect of me having to work for free for all of my time spent in good faith helping you.