Aric, Technician
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company
24739752

I have a Panasonic model DMR-EZ28 DVD Recorder. It shows a

Customer Question

I have a Panasonic model DMR-EZ28 DVD Recorder. It shows a "U99" error message. I have tried rebooting it several times, including completely shutting off the electricity for an extended period. Sometimes it will briefly show a channel number when it comes back on but goes back to "U99" within a few seconds. Other times it just goes directly to the "U99" message.
JA: Just to clarify, what's the exact make and model of your machine?
Customer: Panasonic DMR-EZ28
JA: How long has this been going on? What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: Several days. Rebooted it several times including completely shutting off the electricity for an extended period.
JA: Anything else you want the electronics expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Category: Consumer Electronics
Expert:  Aric replied 4 months ago.

Hello, My name is ***** ***** I'll be assisting you. I'm sorry you're having problems. I'm reviewing your details now and will reply shortly.

Expert:  Aric replied 4 months ago.

The U-99 message on a Panasonic (as well as F-61, F-63 and F-70) are all indicative of a power supply board failure in the DVD recorder per Panasonic's service manual. That said there are no pushbutton fixes for this and it does require repairs made to the unit to remove the error and allow it to operate normally again. The most common cause of this issue is failure of the two filter capacitors, and in some cases the regulator IC chip in the power supply circuit. The average cost for this type of repair is in the $150-$175 range and generally not considered cost effective to repair unfortunately. The only other thing you can try on a user level (if you have not tried this already), is to leave the recorder unplugged from power for an hour or longer in the hopes this drains residual current from the unit and resets it. Beyond this, it does require repairs as indicated above- and replacement is typically a more cost-effective route to take.

Expert:  Aric replied 4 months ago.

Feel free to reply back if you need more help, or want to reply back with more details. It does not cost you anything more to reply back once you've rated. Please do rate me positively (at least 3 STARS) and I will continue with you on this as needed. The positive rating ensures I am credited for my work.