Greg A.
Greg A., Engineer
Experience:  Engineer / Consultant
5229702

MY PHONE IS NOT WORKING IT SAYS LINE IN USE, I HAVE CHECKED

Customer Question

MY PHONE IS NOT WORKING IT SAYS LINE IN USE, I HAVE CHECKED ALL EXTENSIONS AND NONE ARE IN USE, I HAVE RESET MODEM CHECKED PLUGS I SEE NOTHING WRONG. PLEASE HELP THIS IS THE ONLY PHONE SYSTEM I HAVE. THANK YOU
JA: How old is the phone?
Customer: APPROX 3 YEARS
JA: How long has this been going on? What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: THIS JUST STARTED A FEW HOURS AGO I HAVE EXPLAINED WHAT I HAVE DONE HERE
JA: Anything else you want the electronics expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: NOT AT THIS TIME
Submitted: 14 days ago.
Category: Consumer Electronics
Expert:  Greg A. replied 14 days ago.

Hello & Welcome to Just Answer,

I'm Greg and will do my best to assist you today.

Sorry I didn't see your question earlier and to hear of any issue you are having with your phones.

To help you with this issue, may I ask:

1) The FULL Model Number of the phone system you are working with? If this is a cordless system, that model should be printed on a sticker on the bottom or back of the MAIN base.

2) What phone service provider (phone company) you have for this phone line?

Please REPLY using the box below and the SEND button.

NOTE: If you see ANY requests for "additional services" - such as a phone call - please understand that these are sent BY THE SITE AUTOMATICALLY (and not me), and I may NOT be available by phone at the moment of that request.
Feel free to DECLINE (close) any such offers, and continue in this text/chat form.

Thanks

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
I'm sorry I cant read the model # it starts with IC-1335b or sb it is a v tech and provider is twc.
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
my phone isnot working I can not call you I have no cell phone,.
Expert:  Greg A. replied 14 days ago.

OK - is this a CORDLESS Vtech system?

And as noted above:

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
it is cordless
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
there are 3 phones
Expert:  Greg A. replied 14 days ago.

OK - MOST Vtech models begin with TWO LETTERS, followed by FOUR NUMBERS.

So let me know if you see any letters and numbers in that format.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
IC 1335
Expert:  Greg A. replied 14 days ago.

OK - I'm not finding that model.

Do you see anything that STARTS with CS or DS and then has four numbers after it?

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
now we are cooking I see the following DC 6V 400mA
Expert:  Greg A. replied 14 days ago.

OK - that looks like an AC adapter rating.

Please find the MAIN BASE of the system and look for a sticker or label - that may have the model.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
sorry its not a label it is black on black but I finally read it cs 6829
Expert:  Greg A. replied 14 days ago.

OK - NOW we're cooking (lol).

Let me look that up real quick, and while I do that, please REMOVE the phone cord from the main base unit and CHECK if the message displayed CHANGES - to something like "check phone line".

Thanks

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
it says no line
Expert:  Greg A. replied 14 days ago.

OK - very good. That is what is SHOULD say - when the phone cord is disconnected.

So let's leave the phone line disconnected - for AT LEAST another 5 minutes, and then reconnect - after that wait.

While we are waiting, I will see if there is anything else we can do, as I suspect that if the same "line in use" message appears when we reconnect, this may be a phone SERVICE issue.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
sounds like a plan. thanks
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
I plugged it back in and it is still saying "line in use"
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
i have s question that may be "silly" but I am curious. If the last person I talked to, did not disconnect would it still affect my phone?
Expert:  Greg A. replied 14 days ago.

Not a silly question at all!

That USED TO Be the case, but not anymore. If the phone cord was disconnected for a full five minutes, that would have "disconnected and CLEARED" any calls that may have been there.

OK - on with the issue. Can you tell me HOW you "RESET THE MODEM" - and WHEN that was done?

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
i unplugged the power to the back of the modem and waited over a minute and plugged it back it. and i did that twice before I contacted you. So somewhere around noon and again around 1:30
Expert:  Greg A. replied 14 days ago.

OK - are there any "indicator lights" on the modem - one of which is labeled Line 1 or Phone 1?

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
there is a light on one labeled tel 1
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
its flashing
Expert:  Greg A. replied 14 days ago.

OK - let me send the modem reset procedure that I have, and have you try that. It takes a little longer, but that should not be a concern.

I have attached the procedure as an image, and you MAY need to click the image NAME to see it.

Please give that a try and let me know what the indicators do - once the modem is powered back ON.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
just plugged it back in and the lights are the same as before 3 solid Tel 1 flashing
Expert:  Greg A. replied 14 days ago.

Have you WAITED the "additional 10 minutes" (as mentioned in step 3) of the instructions?

And if so, have you checked for a dial tone yet?

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
i was late plugging it in after 5 minutes i am now waiting the 10 minutes, should expire at 4:18 pm
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
NO dial tone still saying "LINE IN USE"
Expert:  Greg A. replied 14 days ago.

OK - this is an indication that this IS a SERVICE issue - with either the equipment or the service itself.

Since you don't have another phone available to contact the TWC support folks, let me send you a link to the "Contact Us" page, where you will look for the "Chat with us" button - to see if you can contact them that way.

Click Here --> https://www.timewarnercable.com/en/support/contact-us.html

Let me know if you do NOT see the Chat with us link on that page.

Thanks, ***** *****

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
i tried the chat button before I got you and it did not work. it took me to several options to buy from twc,. no chat box came up.
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
just send someone out
Expert:  Greg A. replied 14 days ago.

OK - can you try the Chat button AGAIN - and let me know what happens when you click it?

I only ask because when I do that, I get a NEW popup window, and I want to see if you get the same thing.

Expert:  Greg A. replied 8 days ago.

Hi again,

I see it has been a few days and I haven't seen a response on this page, so I just wanted to follow up to see if you have any more questions concerning this issue OR if the issue was resolved?

I look forward to any further questions or results that you may have.

Thanks, ***** *****
--. .-
(im)