John, Engineer and electronic enthusiast for more than 12 years.
Experience:  I am here to help you!
23822421

I'm keying in my code by first pushing the * key, which

Customer Question

I'm keying in my code by first pushing the * key, which gives a blink of the bot***** *****ght on the key pad and then keying in my four digit code, which gives me a fast blink of the bot***** *****ght then a steady illumination of the top light on the key pad. however both lights are not illuminating together and the safe door will not release.What's the problemRay Lonabaugh
Category: Consumer Electronics
Expert:  Russell H. replied 4 months ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

What kind (or brand, or maker name) of safe do you have, please?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
This is a Sentry Safe. 23 1/2 inches tall and 14 inches wide with a depth of about 14inches. It has a key pad with 4 AAA Batteries. The key pad has two lights on the right, one above the other. Normal operation is you key the * first then the four digit code and then the # key. Both light should illuminate with a beep sound allowing you to open the safe door. I did try changing the batteries but I get the same negative response.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
okay lets keep going

I'm not sure what to offer in the way of advice for this problem.

But a question: did the batteries in the safe ever get left for long enough, that they both got weak and also leaked brown fluid or paste?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
They don't appear to. I going to try another set of new batteries. If that doesn't work I get back to you at a later time.

OK. Before putting in new batteries, I suggest that you use cotton waste, or cotton swabs, mositened in rubbing alcohol, to clean the battery compartment terminals in case they are dirty and in case the problem is with low voltage supplied to the safe from the batteries. Then try the newer batteries in it.