Pete, Electronic Engineer
Experience:  Over 16 years of experience installing and repairing electronics.
30970729

I drooped a dx swm vr ed if lens 18-300 77mm. everything

Customer Question

hi john, I drooped a dx swm vr ed if lens 18-300 77mm. everything appears to be working, but there's a catch or drag about half way thru the telephoto adjust. Tell me I haven't destroyed the lens! it's about a grand of glass and a great lens; would like to save it if I could! David
JA: What's the make/model of your device? How old is it?
Customer: Nikon lens on a d5100 body. Believe I sent you the other data, if not, what do you need? af-s dx nikkor18-300mm 1:3.5-5.6g vr?
JA: How long has this been going on? What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: TS was running it through the auto focus, shooting several frames. Only noted change was a dragging in the tf about half-way thru its travel. It was noted immediately after the drop. Slid off my lap less than 3 feet to a hard wood floor.
JA: Anything else you want the electronics expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: that's about it, other than it worked fine before and I'm the original owner.
Category: Consumer Electronics
Expert:  Pete replied 4 months ago.

Hi, I'm Pete. Welcome to JustAnswer! I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply ASAP.

Expert:  Pete replied 4 months ago.

David, the lens may be repairable but it will need to be returned to Nikon for servicing.

You can arrange the service at:

https://www.nikonusa.com/en/service-and-support/service-and-repair.page

--------------------
Happy New Year!
Your satisfaction is my priority;
Kindly take a moment to rate my service 5 stars at the top of your question page so I am rewarded for my time; tips appreciated :)
You can always reply back at any time if you need any further assistance at all.
Pete.
--------------------

Expert:  Pete replied 4 months ago.

Hi, just checking in on your question. If the issue is resolved or you do not need anymore help, please rate our session as 4 stars or more and press submit so I am credited for my time, otherwise please reply back so we can continue with the issue.