Nathan, Engineer
Experience:  Managing Director at Pollinate Group LLC
59725966

I just turned of my TV then I wanted to turn it back on but

Customer Question

I just turned of my TV then I wanted to turn it back on but it will do that I have the rd light flashing tried to unplug etc.cant make it work,is it brokeen?
JA: What's the make and model of your tv? Have you tried unplugging it and leaving it off for a few hours?
Customer: I think it is a 42 inch that is all I know,i am a llittle old laady here very technical challenged
JA: How long has this been going on? What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: It just happened a half hour ago
JA: Anything else you want the electronics expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: No that is about it
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Consumer Electronics
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 month ago.

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble, but I'll do my best to help you. Please give me a few moments to review your details here.

Expert:  Nathan replied 1 month ago.

Would you be able to get the model number off the back of the tv for me?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
sorry I cant do that
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 month ago.

Could you tell me the brand name and the age at least?
It is difficult to give specifics without a model, but we can get started with some general info based on that.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
All I want to know if the TV is broke because of the red light blinking red!!! I feel like I will not get an answer and you are trying to mor money
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 month ago.

I can give you an answer, I just needed a bit more information.

What is the brand of the tv (samsung, sony, vizio, etc) and how old is it?

Expert:  Nathan replied 1 month ago.

You are seeing an automated ad by the site for a call or remote session, this is optional and may be ignored if you wish.

That is not required and you do not have to pay any more, I just need a few basic details from you so I can provide you with an answer.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Panasonic
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thanks Nathan I have to go
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 month ago.

Thank you, ***** ***** you have a rough idea of the age?

Expert:  Nathan replied 1 month ago.

I'll go ahead and send a general answer here based on what you've provided so far.

Short answer: It is broken and you will need to buy a new tv.

Long answer:

Unfortunately, the issues you are experiencing are symptomatic of an internal hardware defect, meaning a faulty power supply or main/control board, though there are many possible failure points. This issue could be a manufacturing defect, but is also often caused by a power event (shock/surge, prolonged over/under voltage condition, etc).

This could also be the result of age related wear and tear; 5 years is a typical expected lifespan for these tvs.

There is one step you can take here, both as a possible fix, as well as a diagnostic evaluation:
1) Unplug the power cord from the outlet

2) Wait at least 1 hour (60+ Minutes)

3) Press and hold the power button (on the set, not the remote) for 60 seconds
4) Keep holding power button while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after. When plugging back in, go directly to the wall outlet, bypassing any power strips or surge protectors.

If this reset process does not work, it would unfortunately confirm an internal hardware failure.

This is something that would require repairs to correct; if you're thinking about a do it yourself repair, you'll need to be comfortable and skilled with electronics repairs, which could include dismantling the set (removing the back panel of the tv), diagnostics testing with a multimeter, changing out boards as needed, and possibly desoldering/removing and soldering/replacing individual components.

If you’re considering repair at a local shop, you’ll find a typical repair to be around $300 for diagnostics, parts, and labor.

For a tv of this size/age however, replacement will make more sense. You can get a brand new LED tv with a fresh warranty in the under $300 range.

I can help you with finding parts, finding a repair shop, or recommending replacement options, if desired.

My apologies for the news.

If you have any other questions, just let me know. Otherwise, please take a moment to rate my service as this is the only way I am credited for my time. Hopefully I have earned 5 Stars but if not please let me know what I can do to ensure you are satisfied. I also invite you to contact me directly with any future support needs at http://bit.ly/1QwLxGh and ask for Nathan.

Thank you, ***** ***** a nice day,

Expert:  Nathan replied 1 month ago.

Hello, it appears your question is still open.
Do you need more help with this?
If so, just reply back on this page. If I’ve answered your question, please let me know you are satisfied, to conclude our session – this is the only way I am credited for my work.
Please note: You have already paid your fee to the site; I'd like to help you and provide value for that fee, but I do need to communicate with you here to do so, if more help is needed.