Aric, Technician
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company
24739752

Hold on I have to get model number, I have an old SONY tv

Customer Question

hold on I have to get model number
JA: What's the make/model of your device? How old is it?
Customer: I have an old SONY tv and can't get it connected to new cable box; model number KV-32V16; I think I messed up the auto channel program
JA: How long has this been going on? What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: my son was goofing around with it; it was running through a VCR/DVD player but then stopped giving me channels; I have tried to run it without the VCR/DVD but I am having trouble with the Ch 3, Ch 4 thing
JA: Anything else you want the electronics expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: how much does this cost
JA: I'm not sure of the exact price, but there's only a $5 deposit. The rest of the price information will be on the page I send you to.
Customer: ok
Category: Consumer Electronics
Expert:  Aric replied 4 months ago.

Hello, My name is ***** ***** I'll be assisting you. I'm sorry you're having problems. I'm reviewing your details now and will reply shortly.

Expert:  Aric replied 4 months ago.

Please tell me whom your cable provider is, and also the Brand and Model Number off of the front of your cable box and we can proceed.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
thank you
Expert:  Aric replied 4 months ago.

Can you please tell me whom your cable provider is, and also the Brand and Model Number off of the front of your cable box and we can proceed?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Comcast; doesn't have a number- it is an adapter
Expert:  Aric replied 4 months ago.

There's always some info on the adapter, perhaps on the back. Also is there only a pair of coaxial jacks on the adapter, or does it also have Red,White and Yellow RCA plug-ins? What do you currently have plugged into your TV for connections?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
coaxial jacks only; dc1105com1
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I think the problem is from the tv; it isn't setting up right; I keep getting issues with the Cable on and Cable box control; the TV is from 1995 - hey we are old!
Expert:  Aric replied 4 months ago.

Thanks. I'm unsure if you tried this, but simply run the coaxial cable from the output of the adapter to the ANT IN on the TV, make sure the adapter is turned ON, and try setting the TV to channel 3 or 4. Let me know if you get anything besides snow. Also, do you have the original TV remote nearby?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I have orig remote; most of it works; trying to run it through VCR/DVD; when I go to set up I have isues with Cable box control and ch set up
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
When I go to Cable Box Control, I get "control" shd it be "on"? and TV input - not sure what to put there
Expert:  Aric replied 4 months ago.

Most current cable signals can't be run through a DVD/VCR- that is the problem. In order to connect a modern cable signal to the DVD, you need a cable box with the Red,White and Yellow RCA jacks. The cable box tuners no longer can process current cable signals. So unfortunately you either need a different cable box for that, or you need to bypass the DVD/VCR for recording and simply use it for playing DVD/VCR media on the set.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
it was working until last night; not sure what happened. The tv set up I can't seem to get
Expert:  Aric replied 4 months ago.

Okay, I will opt out at this point, and allow other experts to assist.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
ok, thank you!
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
wait, I do haave some red, yellow and white cords