Michael Hannigan
Michael Hannigan, Engineer
Experience:  25+ Years Experience in Field. Master Certified Electronics Tech and Technical Consultant
23511658

I have questions relating to ~1650nm laser illuminators. We

Customer Question

I have questions relating to ~1650nm laser illuminators. We have a project to design these into a Hazardous Area Enclosure. I need to understand certain trade offs such as:
1) Can the laser be behind a glass or acrylic window and still achieve full functionality?
2) If "NO" to #1, can the laser fully function behind other specialized material and still achieve full functionality.
The Camera Housing, including any windows, etc. must pass a ball impact test (approx 1kg from one )
Bill
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Consumer Electronics
Expert:  Michael Hannigan replied 1 month ago.

Hello. My name is Michael. I can help you with your question.

If you are referring to just being behind glass, that's not a problem.

But if you are talking about the laser passing through the glass, if it isn't passing through at exactly 90 degrees to the surface, the beam will refract. The amount it will refract will depend on the refractive index of the glass. You CAN get zero refractive index glass, but I believe it would be fairly expensive. Here's a page where you can find it:

http://bitli.es/ZwLym4

Is that what you are looking for? Do you have any additional questions?

Expert:  Michael Hannigan replied 28 days ago.

I see that you were able to go to the link that I provided, but I haven't received a rating from you yet. Is there something else I can do for you that will earn a 5 star rating, or do you have all the information you need with that link?

--------------------
Happy Holidays!
Your satisfaction is my priority.
Please take a moment to rate my service 5 stars and press submit at the top of your question page so I am compensated for my time.
You can reply back at any time, even after rating, if you need additional assistance.

--------------------